Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Wayland session in upgraded Kubuntu 21.10

Greetings!

I am a long time Kubuntu user, currently using Kubuntu 21.10 having upgraded from 21.04. Actually I've started on this Dell laptop from 20.04 LTS (or even 18.04?? I can't remember anymore :P), going through all subsequent releases to the latest one. On every new release, I try out the Wayland session because I very much care for the separate display scaling support (My laptop screen is 1080p and I have it connected to a 4k monitor). Every time I get a dissapointing experience: Things are unstable and the laptop screen's usable area somehow gets smaller and smaller whenever I click on it (I can provide a screenshot or a small video to demonstrate this if needed).
    However, I've discovered today that if I try the Wayland session with a newly created user things are more or less okay. The same goes when I try it with a live 21.10 usb flash drive. So I suspect there are some settings stored in my main user's home folder that mess things up in Wayland session.. Is there any way to somehow "reset" the Wayland configuration back to a clean state? Preferably without resetting the X11 settings too, since the X11 session works like a charm.

Thanks in advance!

Hello again, Merry Christmas!

I have found some time during the holidays to pursue this issue... I have uploaded a short video that shows what I've described in the previous post. Basically, the desktop shrinks somehow whenever I click on it or on the application launcher button.
    I've tried removing various files and folders including ~/.local/share/kscreen, the whole ~/.config folder, the ~/.cache folder and ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals, nothing helped. A newly created user does not have that problem under Wayland...any ideas what might be causing this in my existing user account?

Cheers,

Nikos

Comment

No clue what would cause that. I would assume a display server problem with resolutions, but since the widgets and panel are not changing, I can't say what could be causing your wallpaper to shrink.

Video card? If Nvidia, which driver?

If you delete/rename configs, particularly relevant ones involving kwin or plasma, as found in ~/config, make sure you are logged out of Plasma when you do so - many things are stored in ram, and may not get written to the actual config files until you log out, so they could be getting saved back to disk after deletion.

Comment

Hello,

my laptop is Dell Latitude 7490 with Intel UHD 620 Graphics card.
        Indeed, I was thinking whether I should be logged out of Plasma when I did the renames... I will try again with that in mind, thanks.

Comment

I finally found the culrpit... it was the following line in my .profile:

Code:
          export QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS="eDP-1=1.3;DP-1=1;HDMI-1=1;DP-2=1;HDMI-2=1;"
          I'd put it there in one of my endless experiments to try and get the scaling right and totally forgotten it was there!

Comment

For your edification. When you decide that the question asked has been satisfactorily answered, or the problem raised has been solved, return to the original post and check the #1 box then click on Edit (below the post). This presents you with a selection dropdown list to the left of the Topic Title. Select [SOLVED] and then click the SAVE button.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I see you've done it already, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X