This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Kubuntu's base PPA?

Alright, maybe a stupid question, but when I installed Kubuntu 21.10 beta on my laptop, it came with absolutely no repos in Muon/Discover.
    I manually added ppa:kubuntu-beta/ppa just to get updates.
    I can still get updates that way, but shouldn't the official PPA of ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa be online for Impish now? Am I misspelling it?
    If I check for updates with ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa enabled, I get the error:
    Code:
    Could not download packages
    Details
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu/dists/impish/Release
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.85 80]
    Am I making a mistake that every n00b early adopter makes right when a point release comes out?? I normally stick to LTSs, so I've never tried to "upgrade" a beta release to a point release.

It's worth noting, ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports is working when manually added to Impish.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Alright, maybe a stupid question, but when I installed Kubuntu 21.10 beta on my laptop, it came with absolutely no repos in Muon/Discover.
    This seems odd. Could you explain or show with a screenshot of where you were missing any repos?

Am I making a mistake that every n00b early adopter makes right when a point release comes out??
    Probably . At least overthinking it, maybe.

Double check what each PPA is actually for. That Beta PPA has no relation whatsoever to a beta release of the OS, but beta stuff from KDE.
    But the error you saw is because there is no Impish software in the PPA you added. You should remove it if you haven't. You probably want to remove the Beta PPA AFTER you add the Backports PPA - this will upgrade you fromm the 5.23 pre-release to the final, and you can then remove that Beta PPA

You only need at most the Kubuntu Backports PPA (for Plasma 5.23) and, on a non LTS, adding the Kubuntu Updates PPA might be useful, but likely not. It does not break things having both added. However, at the moment, there is nothing for Impish in the Updates PPA, and you will see the same error you got.

Any other PPA is for special situations, and often not for all releases.
    If it helps, Backports PPA will get new Major versions of Plasma stuff, with Updates PPA getting minor releases.

I suggested years ago to keep the Backports and the Updates PPAs separate from all the testing ones, just to reduce the confusions.

SO....tl;dr
    All you need to add if desired is the Kubuntu Backports PPA , on non-LTS, and sometimes the Updates PPA, when there is actual software for that release in it.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      This seems odd. Could you explain or show with a screenshot of where you were missing any repos?
      I'm just not explaining it right, I'm sure. I'm talking about going to Muon > Settings > Configure Software Sources > Other Software tab
      The only thing in there after a fresh install was the Kubuntu CDROM and Canonical Partners. I thought there was supposed to be more. I guess I'm just remembering wrong.

You only need at most the Kubuntu Backports PPA
      Ah, okay.

on a non LTS, adding the Kubuntu Updates PPA be useful, but likely not
      That pretty much explains it. That's the one that's not getting any hits. I thought ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa (Kubuntu Updates) was the "main" PPA. I guess everything is fine. My machine is working great.
      I normally don't like being on point releases on my main HTPC/gaming rig, but I heard about the gaming benchmarks, and I just couldn't help myself.
      Haven't had a lot of time to game lately, but when I do, it'd be nice to squeeze out a couple extra FPS.
      Plus I'm running 21.10 on my laptop after all that slow-performance-when-charging fiasco you helped me with, so I just thought I'd make both machines the same.

Thanks for your help!

Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
      Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Muon > Settings > Configure Software Sources > Other Software tab
        Note the tab is called "Other Software" Probably should be called 'external sources" or something similar. Your normal, stock sources are listed in the Ubuntu Software tab.

Comment

claydoh Thanks for the PPA info, I've updated my own systems and got 46 files in the download.
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Lol I never actually answered the basic question from the OP's title:

There is no "base PPA" for Kubuntu. By default it does not use any external repos at all, just the normal Ubuntu ones it shares with all the 'Flavours".

Comment

Working...
            X