This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Manager freezes then computer shuts down

Hello, I’m having a weird issue with my computer. Network disconnects randomly and if I go try to disable wifi or Connect to a different network it freezes and then shuts down completely

What is your experience level with Linux? Are you comfortable with the command line? Are you new to Linux?

Is this a new installation? or an upgrade? If an upgrade, how did you upgrade? at the command line or installation media?

If an upgrade, from what version to what version?

If not an upgrade, was network manager working fine and then stopped working one day?

If not an upgrade, and was working fine until recently, did you make any changes to the system recently?

Just an idea. It seems like a lot of trouble. Maybe someone will chime in and help you debug it otherwise.
    IF this is referring to Jammy, for example, It is possible to go to
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/en/jammy...etwork-manager
    and
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/en/jammy/net/plasma-nm
    This is the plasma network manager applet. It shows you all the packages that depend on this package. If you scroll down and got to your architecture (likely amd64) and pick a mirror from the next page, you could download all the relevant packages and dependencies locally. You could do the same thing for network manager. It is in the list. You could then completely uninstall plasma-nm and network manager by using purge at the command line (or completely uninstall option graphically.) At this point you may not have internet access.

You would then go the folder where you downloaded all the deb packages earlier and reinstall them while offline. Reboot. You could then see if reinstalling all the relevant packages and reinstalling them fixed the problem.

Depending on your experience level this may be either just very time consuming or impossible.
    Last edited by rab0171610; Apr 29, 2022, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I’m running on 21.10
      Network manager was working fine, it suddenly stopped
      I have fair experience working on command line, I’m not expert but I can follow instructions understanding what they do.
      I’m going to check on your idea, wish me luck lol

Comment

You have some work to do. You can purge the appropriate packages with

sudo apt purge

followed by list of package names. Take note of any other packages that will be uninstalled, you will need to reinstall those. Also take note of any packages that say they are no longer necessary. If you uninstall those, which may be necessary, you will need to download the deb packages and reinstall those also. If you decide to go this step, use:

sudo apt autoremove --purge

This will remove any other dependencies no longer deemed necessary.

Once you have all the deb files in a folder, navigate there in the terminal and use:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

to install all of the deb packages in the folder. Reboot and see if you had any luck.

Good Luck!

Comment

Update:
          I just realized I have a bridge that keeps popping up as connecting before everything crashes.
          what happens is:
          1. After a little while, internet is off, but the SSID still shows as connected, but if you check on the applet you won’t see any other available wifi
          2. disconnects from SSID
          3. disables and reenables interface
          4. Bridge interface pops up as getting an ip
          5. freezes for about 1 min
          6. shuts down

I’ve managed to keep the computer going a little bit longer by trying to stop that bridge, I’ve tried ifconfig, brctl, etc, but the bridge keeps reappearing like a freaking diabolic possessed doll you try to destroy and reappears smiling at you haha

I’m definitely trying out purging nm now

Comment

How very strange. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MrSaatci View Post
              Update:
              I just realized I have a bridge that keeps popping up as connecting before everything crashes.
              A bridge is usually for a VM. Do you have a VM installed?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X