Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why this USB WIFI device not inculded on Kernel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Why this USB WIFI device not inculded on Kernel?

Hello all,

I have a USB Wifi device Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey].
    Device is great has gigabit transfer rate and works well.

Problem is the driver. At the beginning my system did not recognized the device and I checked on internet. Find the driver on GitHub. Installed and device start working.
    Now all the time when I have a Kernel upgrade driver is out of order.
    After restart device not recognized.
    I have to use driver make and make install and then modeprobe and works.
    Question is why Linux Kernel does not include my USB Wifi stick?
    How can I make Kernel to include it?

Thanks for any comment
    Last edited by attila_66; Feb 25, 2022, 06:08 AM.
    Kubuntu User # 26056<br />Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Athlon II X2 250 4Gb Ram 1x40Gb SSd Hdd +500gb Home&nbsp; Nvidia Gf8500Gt <br />AcerAspireOne A150

Do you have the package dkms installed?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Probably because of licensing, or the young age of the drivers. Realtek use firmware that is NOT open source, though the driver itself may be f/oss, not having access to how the firmware works might be making things difficult. Realtek doesn't care at all about Linux very much. Their USB wifi dongles do not seem to follow accepted standards for MAC addresses, and probably other things as well that make controlling them very difficult.
      Now, with this particular driver, I will imagine you grabbed from some random github user that did not bother to use DKMS to automatically rebuild the driver whenever there is a kernel upgrade.
      This one is very well maintained and updated, has thorough instructions, and the build script also sets up DKMS for you.
      https://github.com/morrownr/88x2bu-20210702

Comment

Realtek drivers are Proprietary and thus are not included in the kernel. You have to install them after the fact.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Do you have the package dkms installed?
          Yes DKMS is already installed.
          Kubuntu User # 26056<br />Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Athlon II X2 250 4Gb Ram 1x40Gb SSd Hdd +500gb Home&nbsp; Nvidia Gf8500Gt <br />AcerAspireOne A150

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Probably because of licensing, or the young age of the drivers. Realtek use firmware that is NOT open source, though the driver itself may be f/oss, not having access to how the firmware works might be making things difficult. Realtek doesn't care at all about Linux very much. Their USB wifi dongles do not seem to follow accepted standards for MAC addresses, and probably other things as well that make controlling them very difficult.
            Now, with this particular driver, I will imagine you grabbed from some random github user that did not bother to use DKMS to automatically rebuild the driver whenever there is a kernel upgrade.
            This one is very well maintained and updated, has thorough instructions, and the build script also sets up DKMS for you.
            https://github.com/morrownr/88x2bu-20210702
            Thank you for this link.
            I followed the instructions and I will see what will happen with the next kernel upgrade.

Comment

Thank you again Claydoh,

With the latest kernel update I did noting for Wifi driver system made update automatic and its working.

Comment

Working...
              X