Upgrading CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading CPU

Hi all, I am planning on upgrading my CPU from a 2600x to a 5700x. Only the CPU will change. Mobo (x470 latest bios), memory (HyperX) and SSDs (variety of samsung) will remain the same. Will this cause a kernel panic, or will it be transparent? If likely to cause issues, what is the method to correct it?

TIA

I can't say for certain, but the initramfs and the ubuntu stock kernel both load the right drivers at boot time, whether it be amd or intel cpu's. I am inclined to think you can change the cpu and it will load the appropriate drivers at boot time.
    Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 20, 2022, 09:25 PM.

Comment

The only time I would expect some issues that you might have to plan for driver wise would be changing graphics cards from one platform to another, nvida to radeon or vice versa. Seems like CPU will be detected and work fine at reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
        The only time I would expect some issues that you might have to plan for driver wise would be changing graphics cards from one platform to another, nvida to radeon or vice versa. Seems like CPU will be detected and work fine at reboot.
        That was my suspicion too, but, I figured it was best to check first. I recall an upgrade barfing once, but I think I may have also replaced the mobo as well as CPU. I don't remember for sure as it was more than a dozen years ago. Thanks!

Comment

Post back and let us know how it goes. Will be curious to see if you have any issues and if not would be great info for others that might find themselves in the same scenario.

Comment

I recently moved a whole SSD including a variety of Linux distributions from my old computer (different motherboard with legacy BIOS, processor, GPU …) to my new one to test some things before reinstalling systems. For example: CPU changed from Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550s to Intel i5-7400, GPU changed from AMD Radeon 6450 to onboard Intel HD 630.

No problems at all with (multibooting) e.g. Kubuntu 20.04 & 22.04, Debian 11 and openSUSE Leap & Tumbleweed from my old SSD - I just had to set UEFI-BIOS to "CSM/Compatibility support mode" and "Boot priority" to "Legacy first" and everything was fine. Things you would not have to do if you just change the CPU.

Have fun with your faster machine.

PS: On Debian I installed firmware-linux (firmware-linux-nonfree), firmware-misc-nonfree and xserver-xorg-video-all before moving the SSD - this was not necessary on Kubuntu…
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 21, 2022, 05:11 AM. Reason: typos & PS
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Outside of video drivers(specifically external ones --Nvidia) there should be no issue.
              If you were jumping to an extremely new AMD CPU model (and you kinda are ), you more likely would need a bios update more than anything else -- something to double check for on your mobo, to make sure it is supported out of the box on your current BIOS. I will guess it probably is.
              The Linux side should be perfectly fine.

My current setup has recently had the OS drive on three different motherboards, with two different CPUS, and three GPUs, if I cheat and count 2 iGPUs as one. Zero changes, configs, or reinstalls, though all hardware is Intel and AMD.

Comment

Thanks guys! I feel more secure just plopping it in. Yes, my bios has been updated to the latest AGESA 1.2.0.7, so I should be able to install the newest 5800X3D, though that is a bit beyond my means currently. I do not suspect I will see much performance difference on the desktop, but for video editing, 3D rendering I should see a significant improvement, and I should also see an improvement in games that are still single threaded and CPU bound, like Flight Gear. Multithreaded games wont see any improvement overall as my systems is GPU bound, but I refuse to pay the price for new cards... they are way overpriced, even at MSRP. Way.

Comment

They are dropping in price quickly, so it is worth keeping an eye open. I wish I could have waited a few weeks, my rx6600 can be had for well under 300USD now, with some models selling for 350 or so in the past week or two. Mine was originally 339, but there was an open box unit in my local store for 305, so I did luck out that a little (and zero waiting!). I have seen that one on line for 299 recently

Comment

Working...
                  X