ksshaskpass does not work correctly under Wayland but does under X11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ksshaskpass does not work correctly under Wayland but does under X11

Ksshaskpass does not work correctly under Wayland, but does under X11.

I found this out while running Grsync using SSH. Using X11 everything works fine: when ssh is called from within Grsync ksshaskpass is initiated correctly and passwords are retrieved from Kwallet. However, when using Wayland the program waits indefinitely because the underlying CLI commands wait for a password to return which never happens.

FYI, When I enter the same command generated by Grsync directly in the CLI a password is requested and rsync does what it is supposed to do.

Anybody got any ideas? Something amiss with an environment variable under Wayland maybe?

I use Kubuntu 21.10, and just now switched to using Wayland. Therefore I do not know how long this problem already exists.

I have an Nvidia graphics card and it does not work well as of yet with Wayland. I do not want to open a can of worms but in my opinion, it is still too early to be adopting Wayland on such a large scale as I have not been able to get a lot of things working. I have tried it on Jammy and had issues with the mouse and menus popping up in the wrong place. Clicking on icons in the tray wouldn't work. IMO it is still not ready to be a drop in replacement for Xorg. At this time, I don't really see what the benefit is either for the average desktop user. Unless you really need Wayland, why not keep using X11 session and wait for Wayland to mature a bit more? It still needs some work. Visually, I don't see any difference in performance. The desktop and apps look the same either way. I don't see why everyone is so excited to switch over if it provides basically the same function as its predecesor. Wayland is still buggy in my experience.

Comment

Working...
    X