X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to customize locale file in /usr/share/i18n/locales

Hi....
    I live in Indonesia, and I want to all of my application interface language in English. And i found file id_ID in folder /usr/share/i18n/locales/. I just want to customize date format of d_fmt which is currently set to "%d//%m//%y", I want it to be "%d-%m-%y", and please don't tell me to set LC_TIME to en_DK.UTF-8 because the name of day are in English.
    How to do it? I'd tried from h__ps:// ccollins.wordpress.com/ 2009/ 01/ 06/ how-to-change-date-formats-on-ubuntu/, but still won't change anything at all. Please help.
    Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    akrogun

Welcome to KFN!

When you say that you "want to customize date format," where exactly do you mean? Dates show up in a lot of places, such as the taskbar clock, and some of them are configured within its specific app. Can you give us some examples of where you're seeing dates that you want changed to your preferred format?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

When last I looked into this, Qt applications,and thus KDE, do not support the full internationalization machinery that the ICU libraries and Linux provide in /usr/share/i18n/locales; I looked deeply into this a few years ago and was disgusted to find that they hard code the set of locales they support. So building a new locale with the right settings for dates and so on is not possible. They seem to have the idiot notion that everyone in a place speaking the same language should use the same localization. I found this out after hours learning how to build a locale...

All we are allowed to do is make a choice from the locales we're given. This leads a lot of users in the English-speaking world using the en_DK locale (English - Denmark) to get a reasonable date and time format with hh:mm. (en_NZ gives the execrable, ugly American 12 hour time format, hh:mm AM/PM; I've never seen that used here, "am/pm" is often used in normal, conversational, text but only if there's ambiguity and any systematic list of times uses 24 hour times.)

Looking now, there's a lot more locales supported, but none I've found give an ISO date time with a reasonable long format; they all have "2022 M04 3" for today .

Somebody please tell me that Qt have fixed this...
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
      X