Issues with right-click in Dolphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Issues with right-click in Dolphin

Last week, for no apparent reason, my right-click behavior in Dolphin has been flaky, and definitely not normal. For example, I right-click on a file, wanting to view its properties. Either *nothing* happens at all, or the context menu pops up--and immediately disappears. It can easily take two, three, four or more right-click attempts before finally getting the menu to display and stay up long enough to choose its entry I want. Any ideas on what I tinkered with that could've caused this behavior? It does not happen in SeaMonkey or other programs, but can also happen with the taskbar.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

My first guess is a faulty mouse / mouse-button. If you have spare mouse, give it a try first. If you don't, you can change mouse properties to right to left and left to right and see if you can trigger the same behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by arsivci View Post
      My first guess is a faulty mouse / mouse-button.
      As was mine.

I've had mice with flaky buttons. Sometimes, they improve with some hard, rapid, bashing away on the button for a minute or so.

It's a while ago now, but I had a mouse where the button flakiness was due to a problem with the wire just as it leaves the mouse, where it got bent a lot.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, but I don't think the trackball is the issue. It wouldn't have any way of knowing I'm in Dolphin, so act flaky, but now I'm in SeaMonkey [or KWrite or Synaptic or the GIMP or....] so don't act flaky. A bad trackball would display its problem regardless of program you're using, right? This is very localized to Dolphin although, as noted originally, it can also happen with the taskbar. I feel pretty sure that there's a timing setting--somewhere!--that's controlling this. But after perusing both System Settings and Dolphin's settings, I'm not seeing it.

BTW, it's a wireless Trackman trackball--no wires to get kinked!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I, too, had that problem. My solution was to go buy another M325 USB mouse for $10. Problem solved.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A mouse doesn't have to be wired to fail. Wireless ones fail also. Moving parts will always fail at some point.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

FYI: I was unable to reproduce it on 20.04.4.

Comment

I'm not being clear: it's NOT the trackball! I have four other, identical Trackman M570 trackballs to try--and the one I did acted exactly the same way. In *Dolphin* only. I never said wireless trackballs can't fail! I said there are no WIRES to get kinked.

Comment

Probably not much help, but I have had flaky right click problems on the web. I think it's caused by errant Javascript trying to control saving files off a web site. Changing to another browser sometimes fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                    I'm not being clear: it's NOT the trackball! ... In *Dolphin* only.
                    Assuming it IS something in Dolphin specifically, export your Bookmarks, then Purge Dolphin and remove any reference to it in your /home/username directory, including any reference in hidden directories. Reboot. Then install Dolphin and Import your Bookmarks. Does the errant right-click mouse behavior persist, or is it fixed?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Assuming it IS something in Dolphin specifically, export your Bookmarks, then Purge Dolphin and remove any reference to it in your /home/username directory, including any reference in hidden directories. Reboot. Then install Dolphin and Import your Bookmarks. Does the errant right-click mouse behavior persist, or is it fixed?
                      I don't have any bookmarks in Dolphin, so that's not an issue. However, my finely-tweaked configuration is!

I've asked before and never did get a definitive answer: is there a configuration file(s) that actually contains--and therefore can restore--all of my customization in Dolphin? For example, my toolbar entries, my icons I've changed in toolbar entries, how Dolphin acts/looks when it's opened, etc. The right-click issue *is* annoying, no doubt about that, but manually restoring all of my config changes in Dolphin would be, too. In the past, when I tried copying over what I thought were Dolphin's config files from $HOME, that only partially restored things. There must be a 100% method. Right?

I'd like to save wiping Dolphin for a last resort kind of solution, assuming we can't hone in on its actual, total configuration file(s).

Comment

Working...
                      X