No Avatar on login since Plasma 5.23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] No Avatar on login since Plasma 5.23

Had this issue since the 5.23 update, was hoping 5.24 would fix it but no dice.
    When not logged in, my Avatar displays as the default KDE logo. As soon as I'm logged in, it displays perfectly everywhere. In the Application Launcher, The settings, even the Lock Screen now. The only place that still uses the KDE logo is my Remote desktop software, which shows it as my user icon.

I've tried changing between multiple different images, even the default ones provided alongside Plasma, but nothing changes. Until I'm logged in, the avatar is always the default KDE logo.
    I noticed the "face.icon" file in my home folder is always the same icon: Is this meant to change with my avatar too?

(My desktop runs 21.10 and it's got plasma 5.22.5; do you get plasma updates from a PPA?)

The avatar shown, or not shown, on the login screen depends on the SDDM theme. The theme I normally use doesn't show anything. If I change back to the default KDE Breeze theme, it doesn't show the avatar I set up in user settings, it shows a user's .face file.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Whoops, I am using the Plasma Backports PPA. Completely forgot to mention that.
      Strangely, I have two identical Breeze SDDM themes installed by default. I've swapped between both of them but neither has any effect, they both don't acknowledge my avatar.

Can I safely replace the .face file with my own avatar, or could that cause other issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksaur View Post
        Can I safely replace the .face file with my own avatar, or could that cause other issues?
        I can only offer that I think it'll be fine. .face and .face.icon are ancient unix files and I expect every variety of abuse has been tried.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Replacing .face worked perfectly. Cheers.
          I also had no idea KDE's lockscreen was a completely separate entity to SDDM's login screen. That would explain why my avatar wasn't applying...

Comment

Working...
          X