Bizarre notification issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Bizarre notification issue

A few days ago, I was fiddling around with fine-tuning all of my notifications (on my new[est] laptop). Now I have a bizarre issue that makes no sense--but does cause me to chuckle!

I've set my notifications to play a sound AND display a pop-up message when the [num lock] key is activated/deactivated; since my settings turn it on at bootup, I've historically received both the audio and visual notifications as soon as I booted up.

But not now!

Now, I hear the audio alert, but it isn't until I click SeaMonkey (in my tray) that the visual alert pops up! SEAMONKEY?! Weird. I've tried clicking other programs instead, after a fresh reboot, just to see if any others would trigger this weird behavior, but, no, it's just SM. I click it and the alert saying the num lock key has been activated pops up.

I've tried resetting my alerts, turning them off and back on, but once I get it back to how I want it, I get this weird issue. Any ideas?!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

No ideas, eh? Well, it's still happening, and it's really annoying me now. No more chuckles. I can't for the life of me figure out why SeaMonkey is triggering the audio portion of the [num lock] key's notification. It just makes *no* sense!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I've set my notifications to play a sound AND display a pop-up message when the [num lock] key is activated/deactivated; since my settings turn it on at bootup, I've historically received both the audio and visual notifications as soon as I booted up.
      While I fully support your choice to do what you want to with your Linux machines, I am just curious as to why? If numlock automatically sets itself at login, why you need both a visual and an audio notification when you log into the desktop that the numlock is activated? Mine is set the same way but I have no need for both an audio and visual alert to bug me to let me know on login that it is set. I do not understand the need. Seems like overkill IMO. I understand you may accidentally on the rare occasion hit the numlock key and turn it off. It happens to me. But as soon as I start trying to type numbers and there is no input, I usually realize that numlock is turned off and just hit the numlock key to re-enable it. A lot less stress for something that occurs so rarely.

Comment

Have you looked at your notificatiions settings, to see if there is anything weird entries or settings for SeaMonkey in there? That's the first place I'd look.
        Or if SeaMonkey, being a Mozilla thing, has its own independent settings for notifications, maybe? At least to eliminate some of the easier and more obvious ideas.

Comment

Have you tried removing and purging SeaMonkey and then reinstalling it?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
            While I fully support your choice to do what you want to with your Linux machines, I am just curious as to why? If numlock automatically sets itself at login, why you need both a visual and an audio notification when you log into the desktop that the numlock is activated? Mine is set the same way but I have no need for both an audio and visual alert to bug me to let me know on login that it is set. I do not understand the need. Seems like overkill IMO. I understand you may accidentally on the rare occasion hit the numlock key and turn it off. It happens to me. But as soon as I start trying to type numbers and there is no input, I usually realize that numlock is turned off and just hit the numlock key to re-enable it. A lot less stress for something that occurs so rarely.
            I've explained myself poorly! There are two separate components to this: 1) I want both audio and visual alerts when [num lock] is [de]activated--because my favorite cat just LOVES walking on my keyboard! So I like to hear and see when it happens. 2) because of #1, the alerts happen when I boot up; IOW, I don't have the alerts set BECAUSE I want them at bootup, but because of #1.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Have you looked at your notificatiions settings, to see if there is anything weird entries or settings for SeaMonkey in there? That's the first place I'd look.
              Or if SeaMonkey, being a Mozilla thing, has its own independent settings for notifications, maybe? At least to eliminate some of the easier and more obvious ideas.
              Yes, thanks, I've checked everything. Disabling the alerts for [num lock] is the only way I've been able to get rid of this peculiar behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Have you tried removing and purging SeaMonkey and then reinstalling it?
                No, but I don't know that it would accomplish anything. When I 'install' SM, all I do is copy/move its directory from one place to another, e.g., from my backup drive (saved from a previous laptop) to my new drive. Or if it's a new version, I unpack it and then move its directory to where I want it. There's nothing else involved.

Comment

IOW, I don't have the alerts set BECAUSE I want them at bootup, but because of #1.
                  Ok I gotcha now! That make sense. Pesky kitties. I have no advice, so I will just wish you good luck in finding a solution!

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
                    Ok I gotcha now! That make sense. Pesky kitties. I have no advice, so I will just wish you good luck in finding a solution!
                    Ha ha!! She's the joy of my life, so she can walk on my keyboard all she wants! (It can be difficult explaining an e-mail someone receives from me with a subject of 309bysk;ew;hewr7[ and a message of i3y8vfc,ndnkhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhey2oghpiyqrrh;gf'h paooaoap )

Comment

So today my cat showed me another aspect of this weird problem. I was using Firefox at the moment, so SeaMonkey wasn't the active program. The MOMENT I clicked on SM [in my taskbar] to bring it back up, the alert for [caps lock] activation played! In other words, my little girl had pressed the [caps lock] key but the alert didn't sound until I brought SM up again. WTF?!

Up until now it's always been the [num lock] key involved, but now I'm guessing that ANY key locking will be affected by this weird problem. What on earth could make activating SM play a locked key alert?

This new revelation means that having the alerts set for key-locking is useless. I mean, if the alert isn't going to play unless SM somehow gets involved, then it's of little use. What if I'm using some other program, my cat toggles a key lock, it doesn't alert me, and I happily keep typing, not realizing it's IN ALL CAPS NOW or the number I just wrote came out like (*#)@*@&^%*()__~?

Comment

I am re-reading all of this post. I don't remember if you tried or it was suggested to create a new user, set the alert with that user to see if the problem still exists. This could help determine if it is some conficted settings in your home directory.
                        Also, you could consider booting from the live media and trying Kubuntu, set up the alerts and see if the behavior is repeated on that environment. You could also try it in VirtualBox or another virtual machine. Just a thought . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X