This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Can't get username field on login screen

I've gone back and read previous threads [of mine!] regarding this issue, and I'm as sure as I can be that I have all my bases covered, but for some reason I cannot get the login screen to display the username field. A BLANK username field.

I've picked login screens that include both fields (username/password); I've made "RememberLastUser=false" and "ForceLastUser=false" in their respective config files. I've rebooted numerous times--a couple years ago, that was apparently the magical trick that made this work....not so this time.

The config files I'm referring to are:
    /etc/sddm.conf
    /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf

I've also checked files in /etc/pam.d but didn't find anything likely.

Please note: this is not earth-shaking! I can live with a pre-selected user on the login screen. I just strongly prefer it NOT pre-selected. I like a blank username and password. Personal preference.

ETA: I'm going to try this another way...
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Mar 07, 2022, 01:00 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

No ideas, eh? I can't be the only person who prefers blank username and password fields!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Use the zoom function to shrink the screen. Hold the Ctl key down while thumbing the middle mouse wheel toward you. Having vision problems I often zoom the screen in by holding the CTL key down while I spin the mouse wheel away from me. Makes things easier to read.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Use the zoom function to shrink the screen. Hold the Ctl key down while thumbing the middle mouse wheel toward you. Having vision problems I often zoom the screen in by holding the CTL key down while I spin the mouse wheel away from me. Makes things easier to read.
        I'm not following you, GG! How would shrinking the screen make a username field appear?

Comment

It was doable, at least back in 2017. See https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=141374

Rog131's Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 pm comment and image says how it was done. I just tried it on my laptop, but it doesn't function fully. Yes, I get a username input field on top of the password field, and I can type in my username and then the password, but clicking on the arrow just causes the login process to not complete; the screen becomes non-functional. I have to drop down to a tty and undo the change to the file and do a command line shutdown and restart.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
            No ideas, eh? I can't be the only person who prefers blank username and password fields!
            Well, stupid me. My first reaction was that you were referring to logging into some account with your browser. I'm the only person using my computer and my login screens only asks for my password. I don't know if the zooming would work on the login screen or not. I would guess not, but I'll try it.

EDIT: Tried it. Didn't work.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 04, 2022, 09:43 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
              No ideas, eh?
              I'm not sure, but I thought this was in the province of the theme. How's your javascript (aka qml)? My sddm theme uses /usr/share/sddm/themes/sugar-dark/Components/Input.qml; maybe it could be hacked it to make the user field blank initially.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

I'm not sure, but I thought this was in the province of the theme. How's your javascript (aka qml)? My sddm theme uses /usr/share/sddm/themes/sugar-dark/Components/Input.qml; maybe it could be hacked it to make the user field blank initially.
                Sugar Dark is one of many I tried--and still have installed--but could not get it to display both fields. My JS skills are as rusty as Putin is insane, if that helps any! As noted earlier in this thread, I have edited various config files that *used* to control some of this, but it didn't help. I'll take a look at my /usr/share/sddm/themes/[my_theme]/Components/Input.qml and see if tweaking anything makes it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  It was doable, at least back in 2017. See https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=141374
                  It was doable in 2021!! My now-gone Gazelle, running 20.04LTS, had it, but its replacement, running 21.10, does not.

Comment

Then it was most likely the SDDM Theme you were using, as such items like that are controlled by the Theme. So either try another available Theme, or find one that is compatible with 21.10 that has what you desire.

Comment

Then it was most likely the SDDM Theme you were using, as such items like that are controlled by the Theme. So either try another available Theme, or find one that is compatible with 21.10 that has what you desire.
                      I've tried dozens! And I've made sure the ones I've picked actually include username AND password fields.

I've assumed that they're all compatible with 21.10 since I'm using 21.10 to look for and install them. Is that not a safe assumption? You know, in settings, where it says 'find new themes' (or however it's worded)?

Comment

So I'm clear, you have a SDDM Login Theme that has both, a username and password field, but the username is always pre-filled, and that is what you are trying to find a solution for. Yes?

Comment

So I'm clear, you have a SDDM Login Theme that has both, a username and password field, but the username is always pre-filled, and that is what you are trying to find a solution for. Yes?
                          No.

I'm sorry, I've explained it poorly. Let me try again...

But, first, I have to add something: since posting my OP, something has changed. For the worse. At first, my separate, different splash screens--one shown for logging in and the other immediately after that--both appeared. The second one is an animated butterfly. It worked. It flashed by very quickly (because booting up takes a split second these days!), but it did appear. Now *neither* one of them appears. The login screen I'm seeing is one that I not only didn't choose, but I can't even FIND anywhere!

When I reboot, this unknown/unchosen login screen appears. It shows my name, and under my name it asks "not you?" (or something like that). It has only ONE field--blank, for password; I type in my password and then it goes on to boot up. Checking various config files, like the sddm files I mentioned earlier, shows the correct screens I've chosen--but they do *not* appear as they're supposed to, and when I go back to System Settings, the login screen I had chosen AND is shown in the config files is UNCHECKED--and nothing is checked!

UPDATE: using sddm-greeter in test mode, I can get any login screen I want to work perfectly. But not in real life. There's a setting wrong somewhere, a config file not being read, *something* that's causing this. But what?
                          Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Mar 06, 2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X