This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma Wayland crashes even before starting

I choose Plasma Wayland at the login screen and try to login... briefly it tries to start plasma, fails and reverts back to the login screen.
    I see the following in the wayland-session.log file:
    Code:
    No backend specified through command line argument, trying auto resolution
    kwin_wayland_drm: No suitable DRM devices have been found
    KWin exited with code 1
    startplasmacompositor: Shutting down...
    startplasmacompositor: Done.
    How can I fix this?

Nvidia, perchance?
    Which card, what driver version?

Nvidia is just very recently supporting Wayland in any reasonable fashion in Linux with their non-free, proprietary drivers, not sure how much the kernel version may also matters here.

Also unsure if the open-source Nouveau driver works well for Wayland or not.

I lack any experience with Nvidia on Wayland, so hopefully others can chime in with their experiences

this also may help a little:
    https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland/Nvidia
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 12, 2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Nvidia, perchance?
      Which card, what driver version?

Nvidia is just very recently supporting Wayland in any reasonable fashion in Linux with their non-free, proprietary drivers, not sure how much the kernel version may also matters here.

Also unsure if the open-source Nouveau driver works well for Wayland or not.

I lack any experience with Nvidia on Wayland, so hopefully others can chime in with their experiences

this also may help a little:

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland/Nvidia
      just tried on my box with GTX 860M driver 418

installed the "libnvidia-egl-wayland1" and set the "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" editing the grub boot line at the grub screen ,,, as per the link you gave .

however the link specifies Plasma 5.20.2 or later I have 5.18.5 and Qt5.15.0 I have 5.12.8 , runing Kubuntu-20.04

It did boot to what looked like my plasma desktop but with no transparency on the konsole I leave open , however it was unusable from severe lag .

humm lets go see what the neon-user has

VINNY
      Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 12, 2021, 07:22 PM.
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

just tried on

Operating System: KDE neon 5.22
        KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
        KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
        Qt Version: 5.15.3
        Kernel Version: 5.11.0-37-generic (64-bit)
        Graphics Platform: X11
        Processors: 8 ? Intel? Core? i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
        Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
        Graphics Processor: NVE4

that was using the Nouveau driver ( well go figure , I hadn't even noticed ) and it tried to start (Wayland) but plasma crashed in a few seconds .

tomorrow may try with the nvidia driver

VINNY

EDIT: looks like this killed it
        Code:
        nouveau: kernel rejected pushbuf: No such device
        nouveau: ch6: krec 0 pushes 1 bufs 1 relocs 0
        nouveau: ch6: buf 00000000 00000003 00000004 00000004 00000000
        nouveau: ch6: psh 00000000 0000022df0 0000022e04
        nouveau:     0x200406c0
        nouveau:     0x00000000
        nouveau:     0x00224000
        nouveau:     0x0000006c
        nouveau:     0x1000f010
        plasmashell: ../nouveau/pushbuf.c:723: nouveau_pushbuf_data: Assertion `kref' failed.
        KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell
        Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 12, 2021, 07:58 PM.
        16GB RAM

Comment

On my previous setup (i3 processor, Nvidia 390 driver) Wayland refused to open and sent me back to the login screen (on Hirsute Hippo). On my current setup, with 21.10, an i5 processor with 12 cores and an Intel video using Mesa as the driver, I have been using Wayland with no problem so far.

Comment

Code:
            Operating System: KDE neon 5.23
            KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.0
            KDE Frameworks Version: 5.87.0
            Qt Version: 5.15.3
            Kernel Version: 5.11.0-37-generic (64-bit)
            Graphics Platform: Wayland
            Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
            Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
            Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2
            I installed the "nvidia-driver-470" , booted with the "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" and loged into a Wayland session , it did run but was a bit qurkey , closing an application left it's entry on the task bar but a newly opened app would use the old apps entry on the task bar .

changing anything in system settings>display and monitor> compositor would put the screen into a black and white strobe show .

and system load was a bit high at idle .

now I want this system back on Nouveau it looked cleaner ,,,, every thing looks larger like your running at a lower resolution on the nvidia driver .

can I assume just removing the nnvidia driver will revert me back to Nouveau ?

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

OK so
              Code:
              sudo apt-get remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'
              put me back on the Nouveau driver and looks ,,,,,,,,well just better.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

I'm back on the Nvidia 390 driver, and now can't get into Wayland. I installed the file the link says to install, but don't know how to add the line 'nvidia-drm.modeset=1 to the boot loader (I'm using efi). I pressed 'e' when the grub menu appeared, but don't know where to put the mentioned in the parameters or how to make the change permanent. Can anyone help me?

Comment

I tried most of the things mentioned here without much luck. The best case scenario was when I was able to log in using Wayland, see the Plasma desktop but several windows were just black. Dolphin and perhaps other KDE apps work fine but I can't get Chrome or Firefox to show anything. I gave up and reverted back to X11 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                    I'm back on the Nvidia 390 driver, and now can't get into Wayland. I installed the file the link says to install, but don't know how to add the line 'nvidia-drm.modeset=1 to the boot loader (I'm using efi). I pressed 'e' when the grub menu appeared, but don't know where to put the mentioned in the parameters or how to make the change permanent. Can anyone help me?
                    when you hit the "e" when the grub menu appeared you should have seen something like this

Code:
                     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 281f0aef-e80f-48d4-bcc5-3191713799cf
                    fi
                    linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-37-generic root=UUID=281f0aef-e80f-48d4-bcc5-3191713799cf ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
                    initrd /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-37-generic
                    a cursor will be flashing under the text , use the arrow keys to move it .

put the nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in the "linux" line right after "quiet splash" and press ctrl+x to boot .

but I am not sure that the nvidia-390 driver will support this , run
                    Code:
                    sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset
                    to see if booting with the "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" turned it on or not , you will get a N or a Y

I think the first nvidia driver version I'v seen in the (K)ubuntu repo that talks about supporting Wayland in it's discription (apt show) is the 470 one .

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

You're right, Vinny--it didn't work. I got to the main desktop, with some things out of whack, and it froze. Back to X11, which works fine anyway. Thanks for your help, though.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                        You're right, Vinny--it didn't work. I got to the main desktop, with some things out of whack, and it froze. Back to X11, which works fine anyway. Thanks for your help, though.
                        you are welcome

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                        X