This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectacle issue

I came across How to remove empty space when window capture with Spectacle but can't respond there because I've forgotten how to log in there. (I could at one time!)

Perhaps, the OP could try disabling compositing just before taking the active window's screenshot. That'll get rid of the empty space (and reduce the file size a bit) by excluding the "shadow" effect.

Of course this won't work on Wayland.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Disabling compositing had no effect for me. So, how do you get rid of that border, when using Spectacle to capture the window under the cursor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	border.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	645233

viewing on KFN doesn't show the border, but right-click, open image in new tab, and there it is. One might not see it if you don't use a light theme, but I see it in chromium with the classic theme.

I've found that capturing the "Active Window" doesn't do it. I wonder how the Neon folks get on with their newer versions.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

On X11, I disable/enable compositing with Shift+Alt+F12 and I can verify the state by running
      Code:
      qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation | grep -i composi
      Code:
      $ qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation | grep -i composi
      Composite: yes; Version: 0x4
      compositingMode: 1
      useCompositing: true
      windowsBlockCompositing: true
      Compositing
      Compositing is active
      Compositing Type: OpenGL
      $ qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation | grep -i composi
      Composite: yes; Version: 0x4
      compositingMode: 1
      useCompositing: true
      windowsBlockCompositing: true
      Compositing
      Compositing is not active
      $
      The first output has compositing active. The second doesn't.

For me, disabling compositing using the Alt+Shift+F12 toggle is enough. I do that, take the screenshot of the window under the cursor, and then restore compositing.

Here are two images taken in KDE neon (Plasma 5.22.5; X11). Turning off any dark style sheet for KFN is required.

Compositing on:

Name:	compositing-on.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	645234

Compositing off:

Name:	compositing-off.png
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	645235

In Gwenview one can set the bg to white to see the border aka shadow clearly. The metadata shows the image taken with compositing to be larger (1150x859) because of the shadow effect than the image taken without compositing (1020x729). The size of the object itself in both cases is the same. One could check that with something like kruler.

====================

For both X11 and Wayland, there's another route to alter the shadow's dimensions: System Settings > Appearance > Application Style > Window Decorations > Theme > click on the pencil icon and choose the desired shadow dimensions (from none to very large).
      Last edited by chimak111; Oct 12, 2021, 04:33 AM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=372408

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
          I came across How to remove empty space when window capture with Spectacle but can't respond there because I've forgotten how to log in there. (I could at one time!)

From https://forum.kde.org/ucp.php?mode=login

When logging in please use your KDE Identity username and password, rather than your Forum display name which may be different.

In the event you have issues logging in, please contact forum-admin@kde.org for assistance.

use the email link if you can't find your KDE Identity username - usually the first initial and last name.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            From https://forum.kde.org/ucp.php?mode=login

use the email link if you can't find your KDE Identity username - usually the first initial and last name.
            Thanks! But I found my username/password. So all set.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Yes, that's the one
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
              X