This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Cannot browse phone files using kde connect

I used to be able to browse my phone files with KDE Connect, but now I can't. My phone says I have to configure my storage locations. I have no idea how to do this. Here is my equipment:
    Computer: Using Kubuntu 21.04, Desktop i3 16 Gb memory
    Phone: Huawei Y7 (2017, I believe--old but serviceable, has Google apps)
    EMUI 4.1, Android 6.0

Any help would be appreciated. I have tried googling for support, but can't find anything

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
    I have tried googling for support, but can't find anything
    (I understand; I started (and finished) the thread I refer to below, and it took me a while to find it.)

See this thread where I reported, and received a solution to this problem.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I just turn on USB Debugging on the phone and plug it into my PC and it shows up in Dolphin under 'Networks'
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        I just turn on USB Debugging on the phone and plug it into my PC and it shows up in Dolphin under 'Networks'
        But that involves getting up off the couch to retrieve the mobile device and/or fetch a cable

Comment

I didn't know (or remember) that I had to plug it in with a cable to get it to work. I can see the files now, so I guess it's solved. Funny, when I clicked on the kde connect icon on my computer, it tells me there's no signal coming from my phone, and stays that way until I plug it in. So am I right the phone needs to be plugged in for my computer to reach it? I don't have a wifi card on the computer (that I know of) so I presume that was the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            So am I right the phone needs to be plugged in for my computer to reach it?
            Not at all. My phone often won't connect till it's unlocked, but otherwise it connects automatically.
            I don't have a wifi card on the computer (that I know of) so I presume that was the problem.
            All that's necessary is that the phone and the computer are on the same subnet. Typically, domestically, one has a "wi-fi router" that connects to the internet, and a computer that doesn't have wi-fi has a wired connection to that router, and all devices in the home are on the same subnet. Variations abound, f.ex. at work we have several subnets and I have to let my computer connect to two of them for KDE Connect to work.

IME connecting phones via USB was very flaky. I gave up on it many years (and several phones) ago.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

It seems to be working fine now without plugging it in, which is a relief. Thanks for your help everybody, esp. John Little.

Comment

Working...
              X