This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] .config file problem

Hey there, I have not posted here in a while.

I giving kubuntu OS another try. I transferred the .config file from my previous installation which was ElementaryOS. Since then, most icons do not want to load, even when I change the themes and icons from the setting manager, but those icons including the star manu icon, does not show up.

Any help on how to solve it?

Thank you.
    Last edited by pookito; Jun 09, 2021, 06:43 AM. Reason: SOLVED :D
    You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
    Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
    Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Just to be clear, are you referring to the ~/.config folder? If you've done that, maybe you overwrote essential Kubuntu config files?
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

@chimak111, yep, that was exactly what I did, I was thinking maybe deleting something of that folder probably the icons or something and the OS will reconfigure it again?

Comment

Open a Konsole and issue

rm ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

then log out and log back in. Your plasma-desktop environment will be recreated with the default settings.

This problem is exactly why creating backups before doing fancy tricks is an absolute must. Assuming your are using EXT4 you should install TimeShift and create a backup of your home account. It will default to rsync, which is used to backup the EXT4 file system. IF you were ever so lucky as to choose BTRFS for your root filesystem then set TimeShift to use BTRFS and continue on. As penance for not creating a backup recite "Hail Linus Torvolds!" three times, then go and sin no more!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

As you address these problems, bear in mind the icon cache in ~/.cache/icon-cache.kcache. One can fix a problem and still get screwed up icons because they've come out of the cache. IME logging out and back in, or restarting, does not clear this cache. It can be deleted at any time.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks guys. I did that. Well, I made a backup of the .config folder, meaning I renamed it. I reboot it my system and then logging in, it went back to normal with everything. I also decided to only move the files or folders that I needed, individually from the .config directory. As usual, most appreciated.

pookito.

Comment

Hey guys, remind me again, how I mark this thread as SOLVED?

Thank you.

Comment

Top of the page. Click on Thread Tools and select Mark this thread as solved...
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks @snowhog, I noticed it at the end of the conversation.

Comment

Working...
                  X