Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI program won't install using msiexec...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI program won't install using msiexec...

I'm trying to install an MSI program in Kubuntu 21.04. I installed wine and q4wine using Discover. Below is a copy and paste from the terminal window.

captain@Enterprise-NCC-1701:~/Downloads/Software/Tube Data (duncan amps)$ sudo wine msiexec /i TDSL Personal Edition 1.1.msi
    [sudo] password for captain:
    0016:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\ Services\\NDIS": 00000001
    0023:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\ Services\\wineusb": c0000142
    captain@Enterprise-NCC-1701:~/Downloads/Software/Tube Data (duncan amps)$ ^C
    captain@Enterprise-NCC-1701:~/Downloads/Software/Tube Data (duncan amps)$ ^C
    captain@Enterprise-NCC-1701:~/Downloads/Software/Tube Data (duncan amps)$

Thanks ahead of time for any help...

Number one thing is DO NOT USE SUDO to run desktop applications!!!!!!

Number two is that anything involving drivers and other hardware level things is very unlikely to work even if the application runs.

Running wine with sudo apt the very least has turned the entire wine setup to be owned by root, and has a good chance of hosing your system since it has access toy your entire system.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok I did read "MSI" as being the computer component manufacturer as opposed to the file type.

You might want to check out WineHQ to see if there are any notes about installing your particular program as well as updating to a more current version of Wine.

You still well need to delete all your wine folders and configs and start from scratch in any case.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by claydoh; May 01, 2021, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help claydoh.

I will start out by remembering not to SUDO wine msi installs from terminal - live and learn, thanks again.

Then, I'm going to uninstall all the wine programs I have installed then uninstall wine and g4wine. I know I need to delete the .wine folder and there is also an 'applications' folder with nothing but wine stuff in it that will need to be deleted. Is there any other wine files/folders I might not be aware of?

Then I'll look a bit more into the Tube Data program and WineHQ before trying to install the program again.

Comment

So, I uninstalled everything and deleted all folders, files, etc I could find related to wine and q4wine. Went to the winehq site and followed their instructions to install wine. That all went well until the installation part which didn't complete. So, I opened up synaptic which now has the winehq-staging 6.7-hirsute-1 and installed it and also installed q4wine.

Went back to the msi file, double clicked on it and it installed just as nice as can be - didn't need to use the terminal and msiexec procedure.

Thanks again...

P.S. now, if I can just get .Net 3.5 to install. Can't get it to install whether following winehq instructions or simply trying to install it via wine, but I guess that another post topic...

Comment

q4wine is not really necessary,. not even sure what its purpose is these days.

You want to use winetricks (part of Wine, you may already have it installed), or maybe some sort of tool like playonlinux or Lutris, which probably are more useful (and modern) for managing wine applications (not just games). They help handle installing those extra bits properly.

Comment

Working...
            X