Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe soon it will be like contactless credit cards: you tap a card against your PC and it boots up to whatever is stored on your card!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by gh4wi View Post
      Too bad Kubuntu 21.04 can not be installed from a DVD, Kubuntu was one of my two favorite distros.
      I just burned a DVD for the Mint 20.2 BETA on the same PC that I tried to burn Kubuntu 21.04, and the Mint DVD worked ok.
      So for now, one must install Kubuntu 21.04 from a usb stick, old PC's that can not boot from a USB stick are left behind.
      It is too bad but what is worst is not documenting what is supported.
      They should print that installations from DVD do not work on their website.

Comment

I don't know about all that, but *buntu has some pretty extensive instructions. For Kubuntu, it starts at the Kubuntu download site. From there, you are led to the Release Notes. For those who may not have the process committed to memory, there is the Image Download page. On that page, there is a Burning HowTo. And you ca stay on that page for the DVD instructions, or branch off to USB-specific steps. Somewhere in those hundreds of words are the directions that you may need. And, with these words, in this post, you have direct links to each of those steps.

Anyway, I've installed from floppy disks, floppy and CD, CD-only, DVD, and now USB-thumb drives. If one of those doesn't work, try the next in line. There aren't many floppy installers anymore, so just go on to the end of the line and use/re-use USB-thumb drives
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

@jglen490

To be fare, the BurningIsoHowo that you get to from your cited link is old: BurningIsoHowto (last edited 2015-03-29 19:16:35 by davideddu). Much has changed in the six years since this instructional guide was last updated. That's not saying that the information there isn't (still) accurate; one just has to follow them, as you've stated, to know for sure.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's fair. So, it may be something like UEFI incompatibility, not having a good UEFI or BIOS setup, or maybe just drivers and hardware.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              @jglen490

To be fare, the BurningIsoHowo that you get to from your cited link is old: BurningIsoHowto (last edited 2015-03-29 19:16:35 by davideddu). Much has changed in the six years since this instructional guide was last updated. That's not saying that the information there isn't (still) accurate; one just has to follow them, as you've stated, to know for sure.
              I took a look. It looks correct. Writing an ISO to a CD or DVD has not changed in the past 25 y.
              The GUI and applications have changed a little, but that is just cosmetic.

Comment

I wrote on another DVD-RW, with K3b and I had it verify the disk and it is fine.
                I am trying to install on the
                Phenom II X4 3.8 GHz L3 = 6 MB
                8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
                nVidia GTX 650 2 GB

[FAILED] Failed to start Snap Daemon.
                and after 20 min of DVD activity it just stops like that.

Comment

Working...
                X