This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No new distribution found

Trying to upgrade from 20.10 following all instructions here https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/04/u...m-ubuntu-20-10 but "do-release-upgrade -c" tells me "no new distribution found". The one thing I have not done is this:

Open Software & Update. Go to the Updates tab. Select ?Notify me of a new Ubuntu version? and change it to ?For any new version?. This will tell the package manager to look for the Ubuntu 21.04 release details.

How to do this in Kubuntu? Help please!

Found a Kubuntu WiKi https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HirsuteUpgrades and installed the update-manager But running update-manager I cannot get into settings - still stuck!

Comment

It's not just you,
      Code:
      $ sudo do-release-upgrade                                                ~
      Checking for a new Ubuntu release
      No new release found.
      Ask Ubuntu says:
      The release of the ISO has only just occurred; the update from prior releases doesn't get opened until a decision is made on the stability of the new release (watching bug reports etc) & a decision is made to turn the taps, so I'd not recommend being impatient and waiting until you're offered the upgrade.

You can use -d to force... but refer to the Ubuntu 21.04 Release Notes where you'll note

Upgrades from Ubuntu 20.10 to Ubuntu 21.04 are not enabled as it is possible for some systems to end up in an unbootable state if they use EFI version 1.10 - bug 1925010. Release upgrades will be enabled once an updated version of shim is available which is compatible with EFI version 1.10.
      Last edited by jlittle; Apr 24, 2021, 03:11 AM.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks John! Will be more patient

Comment

I had the same problem, and decided to do a new install, but install from DVD does not work.
          Instead use Unetbootin to place the *.ISO file on a USB Thumb drive, then do a new install.

Comment

It makes sense. I was using Kubuntu 20.10 on an external USB flash drive on a MacBook pro. When I upgraded from Kubuntu 20.10 to 21.04 using 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' and also installed Kubuntu 21.04 freshly, I got a blank black screen at boot up. I could not able to enter into the Grub menu. As mentioned on many websites, I added 'nomodeset' to live USB boot up and installed 21.04 again. I still got the blank black screen. Finally, I have decided to install Kubuntu 20.10 again and use it until a compatible version of 21.04 is availabe.

Comment

No new release found even today - 06MAY2021

Code:
              Operating System: Kubuntu 20.10
              KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
              KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
              Qt Version: 5.14.2
              Kernel Version: 5.8.0-50-generic
              OS Type: 64-bit
              Processors: 4 ? Intel? Core? i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
              Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
              Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel? HD Graphics 5500

XPS-13-9343:~$ tail -1 /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
              Prompt=norm

XPS-13-9343:~$ sudo apt -y dist-upgrade 
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              Calculating upgrade... Done
              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

XPS-13-9343:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade                               
              [sudo] password for xxxx: 
              Checking for a new Ubuntu release
              No new release found.
              Even today, I am still unable to upgrade to 21.04. What am I missing? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

You can use the -d flag.

I vaguely recall a Kubuntu release when the delay was several weeks.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
                Regards, John Little

Comment

There is/was a bug that kept Ubuntu from enabling upgrades, not sure if it has been resolved yet.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/04/...-21-04-for-now
                  https://www.techradar.com/news/users...to-ubuntu-2104
                  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/041448.html

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/hirsu...lease-upgrades (way way down the page)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...m/+bug/1925010
                  This shows the fix as being in Proposed for testing, as of yesterday, so hopefully it will only take a few days to be moved into the Main repos and the upgrades will be turned on.

Comment

Source List Hirsute

At this present moment, Hirsute Hippo has shim 1.46, this is the cause of the delay. We were impacted by that faulty shim signature that requires Microsoft approval.

Many users are affected by the defect shim package in a different area. The side effect is the same, the machine doesn't boot. The correction out of Impish Indru (tested May 1st) is in Hirsute_Proposed by now: shim 1.47.

You could try to upgrade with Proposed enabled or enable it after the upgrade and before first restart.

Assuming that you run Groovy Gorilla, this changes the source list, just check for updates after. As usual for a new Codename, backup important files first.

Tested on April 23rd on our favorite mirror with secure boot disabled.

Code:
                    sudo sed -i 's/groovy/hirsute/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
                    Happy Hirsute,

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post

Assuming that you run Groovy Gorilla, this changes the source list, just check for updates after. As usual for a new Codename, backup important files first.

Tested on April 23rd on our favorite mirror with secure boot disabled.

Code:
                      sudo sed -i 's/groovy/hirsute/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
                      Happy Hirsute,

That is not recommended as the upgrade is a bit more involved than just switching the repo and updating packages.
                      Disabling any PPAs used, among other things, is needed to prevent dependency conflicts. This is far more likely to break the upgrade than the efi problem.

The correct way to 'force' the upgrade to take place is to use the -d switch in place of the -m when using the do-release-upgrade command.
                      Last edited by claydoh; May 07, 2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I didn't want to wait longer. I normally do not mount the ESP, to stop grub updates messing with it; but do-release-upgrade refuses to run without the ESP mounted on /boot/efi.

Googling for the message, I found the bug report that got the check added to do-release-upgrade originally. The writer of the bug report pointed out what should have been obvious to me: By uninstalling grub-efi-amd64, the problematic "shim" that's caused the release to be delayed is no longer updated, and I could do-release-upgrade -d without the worry that my system wouldn't boot afterwards. I have ~2400 packages so it took a while, about 3 hours, and no problems after rebooting.

<extra detail for grub tinkerers> There's two grub-efi-amd64 packages: grub-efi-amd64 and grub-efi-amd64-bin. The first assumes that grub controls the boot and should update the ESP, and the second doesn't. Supposedly, I could have installed grub-efi-amd64-bin and left the other grub-efi packages installed, but I didn't risk it.</extra>

<Warning> My system does boot with grub, but the grub stanza I use to boot Kubuntu is very simple and does not need updating, even on a new release:
                        Code:
                        menuentry 'Kubuntu' {
                         search --no-floppy --set=root --label "main"
                         linux /@r/boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=main ro rootflags=subvol=@r
                         initrd /@r/boot/initrd.img
                        }
                        but there's no guarantee that on a new release this will continue to work; some detail might change. Something did change, for 18.04 IIRC; "/boot" was added to the paths.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

It seems like ubuntu has enabled the upgrade from 20.10 to 21.04 https://9to5linux.com/you-can-now-up...1-04-heres-how

But I am still getting the "No new distribution found" when trying to upgrade kubuntu. Has the upgrade been enabled for kubuntu?

Comment

If Ubuntu have enabled upgrades, then Kubuntu would see them as well, as they are the same OS.
                            I have not seen any actual reports from actual places that actually verify what they are reporting.
                            Plus, reading, or scanning the bug report on the topic shows it has nt been enabled as of yesterday.
                            The upgrade is not available, using this as a source to begin digging a little.
                            So, no there is no upgrade yet, but as per the rest of this thread you can still 'force' it to happen.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shim/+bug/1925010 , the last post shows other things broken with the shim. If you do not use secure boot, it should be safe to upgrade.
                            Last edited by claydoh; May 25, 2021, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X