Can't login following install - keyboard is not being recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Can't login following install - keyboard is not being recognized

I have just installed Kubuntu 21.04 for the first time and I am new to Linux.

The install appeared to run successfully (took about 20 minutes) followed by a reboot to the login screen. I am unable to enter my password and my keyboard does not appear to be recognized (unable to key any characters into the password field, cannot use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot, F1 doesn't do anything). I am able to move the mouse around, but nothing on the login screen seems to be clickable. I did try to physically power down the laptop and reboot all with the same results. I don't know what to try next?

I am running on a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 notebook with 4GB RAM and 500 GB SSD. Kubuntu is the sole operating system installed and using the full hard drive.

The install options that I took were the checkboxes for a normal install, to load updates and load 3rd party software. I understand these to be the normal and recommended installation options.

On the login screen I do see my name. There is also in the bottom left corner of the screen an icon of a keyboard and the text "Virtual Keyboard Desktop Sessions Plasma (X11).

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums,

It seems that the bootable media did not transfer data properly. In order to remove the login issue, redo the install with no Internet.

Don't select third-party software, select the minimal install and automatic login.

Update and set the install to your needs: System settings, password, discover for Office, VLC, another browser, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
      Welcome to the forums,

It seems that the bootable media did not transfer data properly. In order to remove the login issue, redo the install with no Internet.

Don't select third-party software, select the minimal install and automatic login.

Update and set the install to your needs: System settings, password, discover for Office, VLC, another browser, etc...
      Thank you for the advice. I tried this but unsuccessfully.

I did reinstall with a minimal install and no updates and no third-party software. I checked the option for automatic login. The install completed (I got the completion popup box). I removed the boot USB as instructed and the laptop proceeded to reboot. It has been three hours and I'm not sure if the reboot has completed. I did not have to login so I believe that I am passed this step. I see the Kubuntu wallpaper and I can move my mouse around but there are no icons on my desktop. I don't think that this is the result that you were expecting. I'm not sure if there is anything else to be done?

Thanks

Comment

It is very weird that it took 20 minutes to complete the installation on a SSD (5-7 minutes are enough). Maybe corrupted .iso. Try to download the .iso again (and verify it).

Comment

In such case, you click ESCAPE to see the splash screen for an indication of where it stalls. Cold shutdown is the only solution. Turn on the machine to see if it comes back to normal.

If not, click escape to see what is going on, to have a clue.

Comment

-How did you make the bootable media, under Windows or from Linux?
            -What was the ISO image writer app?
            -Is there a device, or an HDMI cable connected to the ThinkPad?

Did you get the HH final ISO from there?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...21.04/release/

More importantly, are you able to select Try Kubuntu? Is your machine works ok there?

Comment

Working...
            X