This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Display / NVIDIA driver?

My display keeps messing up. sometimes Firefox will shrink down to a small box about 1/8th the size of my screen. I have to wait for whatever went wrong to fix itself. Also whenever I play Evil Genus 2, the launcher says my video driver is out of date. When is the next NVIDIA Linux driver and Ubuntu package coming out?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

The driver message is an artifact from running a Windows game using Wine, or Steam. It means nothing, and there may not be much you can do about it, as the game thinks it is running in Windows. Maybe the game has a setting for disabling such messages or driver checks?

As for Firefox shrinking, you mean the window is resized, or it physically gets tiny (fonts, buttons and all)? Odd. You can't close this shrunk window from the taskbar, or anything? More info or specific details may be useful (as usual).

Comment

Firefox gets a shrunken window and I can't do anything until the display fixes itself. There is no error message or crash report. I think some sort of fluke occurs. Maybe a driver glitch. I suppose it could be a capacitor failure or something that causes a frequency timing error so the monitor gets bad info. Not too likely as I think only the 3080s and 3090s are that sensitive. Assuming your computer is a high end so you might notice it. I have a 1060 that is about 3 y/o.

Edit: I just realized it could be a Kubuntu desktop display error. Mabey something in core Ubuntu or OpenGL.
      Last edited by steve7233; Oct 04, 2021, 08:53 PM.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I see this problem still exists in Kubuntu 21.04, just not as bad. Now the screen goes blank for about 1 second but then recovers and firefox seems to notice and pause a youtube playback so I don't miss anything. I wonder If it's Ubuntu core, something in Kubuntu flavor, the NVIDIA driver, or some weird combination.

Comment

It just did it again and I wasn't doing anything at the time so Kubuntu 21.-4 was just waiting for input and displaying this thread. Fire is using the full display but not in full-screen mode. Maybe something in Firefox?

Comment

This forum seems to be off by one hour. The time just changed. Are Kubuntu forums going to fall back one hour?
            Last edited by steve7233; Nov 08, 2021, 06:14 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Snowhog
              Snowhog commented
              Editing a comment
              The Forum Date and Time Settings are correct, so DST "should" have gone into effect. Looking in to this. Thanks for the heads up.
              Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 08, 2021, 09:53 AM.

So 'Google is your friend'.

Switching to/from DST is not automatic.

Manual for vBulletin 5.6.4 Patch Level 1

Enable Daylight Savings
            If Daylight Savings Time is currently in effect for the above time zone, enable this option so that guests will see the correct times on posts and events. This has no effect on registered users as they control their DST options in the User CP.

Manual for vBulletin 4.2.5

Enable Daylight Savings
            If Daylight Savings Time is currently in effect for the above time zone, enable this option so that guests will see the correct times on posts and events. This has no effect on registered users as they control their DST options in the User CP. This setting is not automatic and it will need to be changed when the timezone changes twice a year.

The confusion (for me anyway) is the description of this setting in the AdminCP. The statement that this is not an automatic change is in a sentence that isn't included in the description for the setting in our current version of vBulletin, but was included in the earlier version.

Context (and content) is EVERYTHING!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
              My display keeps messing up. sometimes Firefox will shrink down to a small box about 1/8th the size of my screen. I have to wait for whatever went wrong to fix itself. Also whenever I play Evil Genus 2, the launcher says my video driver is out of date. When is the next NVIDIA Linux driver and Ubuntu package coming out?
              What's your GPU model, what driver are you using, and what are your Nvidia performance settings?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. I just noticed I wasn't using the new driver about 3 days ago even though it had been downloaded. I switched to the new one and so no problems. The one I am using now is the 470. I don't know where to find the answer to GreyGeek's last question.

Comment

Working...
                X