This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] How to install drivers for nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti GPU

I recently installed Kubuntu 21.04, on a laptop that was running Kubuntu 20.10 before. It wasn't an upgrade but a completely new installation. I told the installer to use the proprietary packages, to make sure it would install the drivers for my graphics card (a GeForce GTX 1660Ti with 6GB). But it seems to have not installed the drivers.

I was trying to run Universe Sandbox (installed via Steam) but when it started it told me I only have 521MB of graphics memory available, so it seems like I'm running on the onboard Intel graphics. I have been trying to install the graphics drivers but it seems that they don't want to be installed (I checked and followed several online help/tutorial pages). I did manage to install the 32 bit drivers to get Steam running, but I think that Universe Sandbox wants to use the 64 bit drivers. I could run it on 20.10 without getting the message.

I have tried to use the nvidia-settings but I just get a small white window with two buttons, a help and a quit button. When clicking on the help button I get a "no help available for this page message", and the quit button closes the window.

What does System Settings under Driver Manager show? Does it show an option to select the nvidia driver (probably 460.xx)?

Comment

Sorry for my late reply. I'm having problems with my internet connection (provider related, nothing to do with Kubuntu) and can only use the internet intermittently. Just before my internet started misbehaving I reinstalled 21.04, this time with updates via the internet enabled during install (which I hadn't first time) and the problem with my graphics drivers has disappeared. So it seems that something didn't go right first time, and my attempts to fix it may have worsened it. The Universe Sandbox game is now working without problems. I did check the driver manager before I reinstalled and all options were greyed out not letting me do anything, which is why I'm suspecting that I broke it even more myself.

I do have some different problems with another game (Cities: Skylines), which doesn't want to start up, and I'm currently checking with Paradox support on how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
      X