This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Gwenview not showing hidden files and directories

Am I imagining that Gwenview has always shown hidden files?

I'm on a new hard drive with everything freshly installed. Nowhere in Gwenview do I see a way to show hidden files/directories. I want to browse my backed-up $HOME from the old drive, but Gwenview isn't letting me.

Is there a setting I've missed? A workaround? Anything?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Can you specify the directory you want Gwenview to look at?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I use Showfoto/Digikam, so I'm blowing smoke here, but why would you want Gwenview a picture viewing app to be able to see hidden folders and files?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
        I use Showfoto/Digikam, so I'm blowing smoke here, but why would you want Gwenview a picture viewing app to be able to see hidden folders and files?
        "Just because" is usually enough

Gwenview does not have such an option, with minimal discussion and bug reports on it, over the ages.

On the tines I have been into configs and theming, I just right click on the folder in Dolphin and go from there.

Comment

As noted, I want to look at my $HOME directory from the old drive. There are zillions of images in its *hidden* subdirectories, and I can't access them with GV.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            On the tines I have been into configs and theming, I just right click on the folder in Dolphin and go from there.
            So, use Dolphin to 'show' hidden directories', and then right-click on the hidden directory you want and when prompted, Open With... and select/navigate to Gwenview. Maybe?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Or, you can use "file --> open" and enter ".somefoldername" into the path bar and it will open that hidden directory.
              Here I opened /home/jerry/.local/....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	gwenview_on_hidden_stuff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	645218
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks SH and GG.

Typing in the pathname works better than I thought it would! Once I get to $HOME that way, GV *does* show my hidden directories. (Why it doesn't show them in GV proper, I don't know!)

This is great. I believe the issue is resolved. Thanks a lot, guys! Appreciated, as always.

Comment

Working...
                X