Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 20.04.3, Plasma and Nvidia screen corruption.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu 20.04.3, Plasma and Nvidia screen corruption.

Hi All,

I'm running Kubuntu 20.04.3, with an Nvidia GTX 1660 GPU, with the 470.63.01 Nvidia drivers. Kernel is 5.4.0-81-generic, Plasma 5.18.5
    However I'm noticing screen corruption , using both the OpenGL 2.0 and 3.1 compositor.
    The easiest way to trigger it, is resizing / moving a window which is on top of a maximised window. The pictures below are screen grabs of a video I recorded using my phone and uploaded to youtube.
    Here is a link to the video, showing the issue.

Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMy6yQ_Hp-Q

Click image for larger version

Name:	corrupt1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	649771Click image for larger version

Name:	corrupt2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	649772
    Last edited by brianinnes; Sep 22, 2021, 01:44 PM.

What does
    nvidia-smi
    show?

Here is a problem site:
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 22, 2021, 01:59 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Here is the output of nvidia-smi
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54ff54][B]brian@brian[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ nvidia-smi [/COLOR]
      Wed Sep 22 21:38:07 2021        
      +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 
      | NVIDIA-SMI 470.63.01    Driver Version: 470.63.01    CUDA Version: 11.4     | 
      |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+ 
      | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC | 
      | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. | 
      |                               |                      |               MIG M. | 
      |===============================+======================+======================| 
      |   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A | 
      | 45%   35C    P8     7W / 130W |    679MiB /  5941MiB |     27%      Default | 
      |                               |                      |                  N/A | 
      +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+ 

| Processes:                                                                  | 
      |  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory | 
      |        ID   ID                                                   Usage      | 
      |=============================================================================| 
      |    0   N/A  N/A      1361      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                288MiB | 
      |    0   N/A  N/A      1794      G   /usr/bin/kwin_x11                   5MiB | 
      |    0   N/A  N/A      1796      G   /usr/bin/plasmashell               89MiB | 
      |    0   N/A  N/A     13125      G   /usr/lib/firefox/firefox          198MiB | 
      |    0   N/A  N/A     23823      G   /usr/bin/krunner                    7MiB | 
      |    0   N/A  N/A     24001      G   /usr/bin/systemsettings5           50MiB | 

[/FONT]

Comment

I have rolled back the nvidia driver to 460.91.03, so far I've not noticed any screen corruption. So perhaps it was an issue with the 470.63.01 drivers?

I'm tentatively marking this as solved.

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post
          I have rolled back the nvidia driver to 460.91.03, so far I've not noticed any screen corruption. So perhaps it was an issue with the 470.63.01 drivers?

Sure, your GPU is not recent cutting edge, so often these driver updates may not be giving anything useful. I think Nvidia driver version-swapping may still a thing, no matter the OS.

Comment

My laptop has a 10 year old Nvidia GT650M in it and I'm pretty much stuck at 390.144, but it works very well!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Me too on the GT 650. Because I can't afford or find a "newer" gpu for the number of obvious reasons. I would be so happy to get my hands on an rtx 2060super. But at a reasonable price & that ain't happening anytime soon....if ever again.

Comment

My grandson has a GTX 1650 with a passmark of 7753. A couple months ago he complained to me that it wasn't fast enough and some of his games were stuttering. (He's a soph in college) I sent him links and instructions on how to accelerate his GPU. At the most it would probably give him 8400. Maybe close to 25-30 fps on his laggy games. He sent me a text msg a couple days ago suggesting that a new GPU would be great for Xmas I checked today's prices Sticker shock. Any GPU which would double his passmark were selling for $800-$1200+. Too rich for my budget. My laptop is 10 yrs old. Anyway, I saw that Micro Center was opening up new computer stores. One is in Denver. It is offering an Radon RX 6600 for $460, in store only. I told him I'd go half if his mother picked up the other half. Now he is between a rock and a hard place. His computer is more than adequate for emailing, writing and printing class assignments, etc. Does he tell mom he's squandering his college time playing computer games?

Comment

Working...
                X