This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuxguitar won't access printer

Tuxguitar is a superb open source app that lets you write and print sheet music and guitar tabs. I did not find an install available for it in the regular repository, so I installed it via Flatpak. It all works great, except that I cannot print from it for some reason. In most apps, like LibreOffice Writer, I hit the print command and it offers me my own and only printer, the HP Laserjet P1005. When I do that in Tuxguitar, it offers me "print to file" and "LPR" (whatever that is). I've been frustrated that it won't directly print up a piece of music. It makes no difference whether the piece of music is in the *.gp3 or the *.gp4 format. The Laserjet P1005 is unavailable in either case.

It has made me wonder if the problem is because it's a Flatpak install. I did not find a Snap install, a Debian package, an Appimage, or a PPA for it. I believe Tuxguitar does require Java, but I had no trouble installing the OpenSource version of Java when I set up my machine, and other Java-based apps run just fine.

I did run into an issue at one point where Flatpak-installed apps could not access any external media that I plugged in such as thumb drives. I solved that problem. Long story, but I have both the regular install of Dolphin and a Flatpak-installed Dolphin on this system. At first, regular Dolphin could access external media, but Flatpak Dolphin could not. I solved this problem with this code:

Code:
    sudo flatpak override org.kde.dolphin --filesystem=host
    Problem solved. Flatpak-installed Dolphin can access external media.

I did the same for Tuxguitar:

Code:
    sudo flatpak override ar.com.tuxguitar.TuxGuitar --filesystem=host
    Tuxguitar can load up a *.gp3 or *gp4 file just fine from an external medium. However, it cannot print with my printer. Frustrating. I've found a workaround. I printed to file, making a PDF, and then printed that file with Okular. However, I have a lot of music that I need to learn, and it would sure be nice if Tux guitar would access my printer like most any app does. Any ideas?

Btw, my printer is not networked. This is a Dell Desktop computer hooked up to my printer via a USB cable. No other PCs need to access this printer. OS = Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

There's a DEB package of Tuxguitar 1.5.4 on their download page.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tux...xGuitar-1.5.4/
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post

Thanks for the info. I installed that one, but it doesn't run. It would seem it doesn't like the version of Java I have installed. I'm not sure why. Other Java-based apps run just fine on my computer. After I install Tuxguitar from the deb file, it won't run. Then this comes up in Discover:

I try to let it update, but then I get this:

The Flatpak one runs just fine with no Java complaints. It just won't access my printer. I wonder if there's some way that I need to tell Kubuntu that this Flatpak-installed app should have printer access rights -- similar to how I needed to tell it that Flatpak-based apps should be able to access my external media. Since every other Java-based app runs just fine, I'd rather not mess with my installed Java if I don't have to. There's got to be a way to grant printer permission to my Flatpak-installed Tuxguitar

Comment

I have a copy of this I downloaded from http://tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html I downloaded the 64 bit QT5 interface binary. It doesn't "install" but runs from the folder I unpacked. It doesn't recognise my printer, only has the print to pdf option. So, I guess the problem is with tuxguitar rather than the install method.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
            I have a copy of this I downloaded from http://tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html I downloaded the 64 bit QT5 interface binary. It doesn't "install" but runs from the folder I unpacked. It doesn't recognise my printer, only has the print to pdf option. So, I guess the problem is with tuxguitar rather than the install method.
            Good to know. I might need to ask questions on a Tuxguitar forum then if one exists. I might be able to live with saving to PDF before printing since I don't print a piece of music up every day. I'm just going to uninstall the deb-file-installed Tuxguitar then and keep the Flatpak one.

Comment

An update:

It's strange, but the problem is solved, and I don't even understand why. To recap:

The Flatpak version 1.5.4 installed and runs perfectly, but cannot access my HP laserjet printer. A workaround is it can save it as a PDF, then I can print it up with Okular.
              The deb install file for version 1.5.4 acted like it installed it, but then it would not run. Discover then complained that it could not update to a certain Java file -- this even though Java runs all my other Java apps.
              I downloaded the tar.gz manual extraction file for version 1.5. It would run manually on my system, but would not access my printer.

So now here's the weird part. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the tar.gz extraction file for version 1.5.4. Strangely, this one runs perfectly and does access my HP laserjet printer. ? I honestly don't know why. I'm glad I tried it. I did not have high hopes of it working after the version 1.5 one didn't. The other person also posts that he downloaded the 1.5.4 manual extraction file, but did not get access to his printer.

I'll be marking this one "solved." I appreciate the help. I'm honestly not certain why this solution worked, but it did. It does also lead me to believe that there's probably some way to grant the Flatpak install access to the printer. I won't be pursing that solution anymore since I've found a way to make it work.

I'm posting this info for the benefit of the next person who runs across this problem.

Thanks again.

Here are some screen shots:

Tuxguitar version 1.5.4, print dialogue, Flatpak install

Tuxguitar version 1.5.4, print dialogue, manual install

If anyone understands why this worked, I would be interested.

What's interesting is the "print to LPR" (whatever that is) goes away and is replaced by access to my HP Laserjet.
              Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Sep 15, 2021, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X