This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Panel freezes up for several seconds sometimes

I'm using Kubuntu 20.0.4 on my work machine, and sometimes the system gets into a state where the Panel can be very, very slow to respond, locking up for around 10 or 20 seconds at a time. When it gets like this, certain actions cause it to lock up. For example, opening the Application Launcher, typing in the name of a program then hitting enter to open it, suddenly the entire KDE panel will lock up, with the Launcher on top of other programs, not going away or responding to clicks. Also, clicking (or using the scroll) on the volume control might trigger the lock up. I'm using a modern 6 core CPU (12 threads), 1 GB SSD drive and 32 GB of RAM, so there's no reason why anything should be slow. I never freezes permanently, but when it does freeze, it seems to buffer all clicks and interactions, and then after some number of seconds, it suddenly responds to all of them at once. Once the computer gets into the state when certain interactions might cause the Panel to freeze for long periods of time, the only solution I have found is to restart the system.

While the panel is frozen, I can still use other applications and Alt-Tab between them, but clicking anywhere on the panel or the Application Launcher is ignored (until the freeze-up ends).

I have this problem when I do a fresh install. My hard drive light is going to town after a long while it stops and everything is back to normal. Maybe something similar is using a lot of resources making your pc slow?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
      I have this problem when I do a fresh install. My hard drive light is going to town after a long while it stops and everything is back to normal. Maybe something similar is using a lot of resources making your pc slow?
      Just the panel freezes up, I can use other running programs just fine (they don't seem to be running slowly at all), I just can't do anything with the panel for 10 to 20 seconds. It's a very fast computer with lots of CPU cores, a fast SSD and loads of RAM, I'm never anywhere near maxing out system resources.

Comment

Another problem I had during startup was the panel wouldn't load if there were apps that had to connect to the internet and download data. Removed those apps and everything worked fine.

Comment

Working...
        X