Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's more a matter of risk than of absolutes. A poorly chosen cloud backup provider can be risky. A well chosen, routine method of backing up to a portable drive can be risky. A not so routine method of backing up to a thumb drive casually thrown into an unlocked drawer could be perfectly fine.

The target of "Joe Average" as a bot recipient, doesn't necessarily mean that "Joe" is the target. Sometimes it's about obfuscation - using "Joe" to hide behind.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I backup my subvolumes to removable media for archival reasons, not to "protect" against malware or human intervention.

I have a firewall on my DD-WRT powered wifi. I have a 2.5MB host file containing Steven Black's most complete list of hostile or invasive servers available on github. It blocks both left and right political views and news sites, and most in the center as well. IF you want to access a particular site that is blocked you can edit the host file with Kate and put a hash mark in front of the line containing the domain name.

FF 90+ comes with "AdNauseam", which blocks popups on websites you permit access to, which you can approve or not.

Finally, I have so many recent archives, the most recent being less than 24 hrs old, of my @ subvolume that even if my system were compromised I can blow it away, reformat the SSD and reinstall Kubuntu LTS and my important data and programs faster than trying to recover from a hack or ransomware. But, the odds of me downloading and installing malware is extremely low, especially if I have to set its execute permission. I never visit shady or suspect sites. My most likely source of infected software would be the repository. Even Python and Jupyter Notebook and all of the libraries and modules for Jupyter come from the repository, with very few exceptions.

As someone else observed, it would be a complete waste of a hacker's abilities and resources to attack or hack into such a low value target as my laptop.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X