Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using the Snap version of Keepass XC?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using the Snap version of Keepass XC?

I'm going to be switching from Keepass2 to Keepass XC Snap version. And I was wondering if anyone here uses the Snap version of Keepass XC? Because its based off of the latest stable version of Keepas XC.

Is there a problem with the version of KeepassXC (2.4.3+dfsg.1-1build1) in the repos?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      Is there a problem with the version of KeepassXC (2.4.3+dfsg.1-1build1) in the repos?
      Sorry for the late reply. No I don't think so, its just that its kinda old compared to the 2.6.6 version and it appears that they have their own Snap version https://snapcraft.io/keepassxc

Comment

Sorry, I don't do SNAPs. Higher version numbers can be good, but not necessarily better. I nearly always go with what is built for the platform I'm on. Enjoy!
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I always go Snapless. I don't even snap my fingers anymore. Bad habit.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
            I always go Snapless. I don't even snap my fingers anymore. Bad habit.
            So you think I should go with the PPA for Keepass XC?

Comment

Code:
              sudo apt-get install keepassxc
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree... Done
              Reading state information... Done
              The following additional packages will be installed:
                fonts-font-awesome libdouble-conversion3 libmd4c0 libpcre2-16-0 libqrencode4
                libqt5concurrent5 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5gui5 libqt5network5
                libqt5svg5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5 libxcb-xinerama0 libxcb-xinput0
                libykpers-1-1 libyubikey-udev libyubikey0 libzxcvbn0 qt5-gtk-platformtheme
                qttranslations5-l10n
              Suggested packages:
                xclip webext-keepassxc-browser qt5-image-formats-plugins qtwayland5
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
                fonts-font-awesome keepassxc libdouble-conversion3 libmd4c0 libpcre2-16-0
                libqrencode4 libqt5concurrent5 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5gui5
                libqt5network5 libqt5svg5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5 libxcb-xinerama0
                libxcb-xinput0 libykpers-1-1 libyubikey-udev libyubikey0 libzxcvbn0
                qt5-gtk-platformtheme qttranslations5-l10n
              0 upgraded, 22 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
              Need to get 17.3 MB of archives.
              After this operation, 67.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
              Doesn't show any snap reference
              Boot Info Script

Comment

If one has to choose between a snap and a ppa, and one isn't short on resources, snaps may be preferable because of the "containment". With ppas, it's just possible that newer versions of dependencies may not play well with existing software. I can't give examples to justify this fear but maybe someone else can
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  If one has to choose between a snap and a ppa, and one isn't short on resources, snaps may be preferable because of the "containment". With ppas, it's just possible that newer versions of dependencies may not play well with existing software. I can't give examples to justify this fear but maybe someone else can
                  OK thanks. But getting off topic why am I not getting any email notifications from this thread?

Comment

I've been running that Snap version for a long time with no issues at all. Because it's a security app, being up to date (as well as running in a sandbox) are both good things. The Snap version also plays nice with the Firefox extension, in case you were wondering.
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I have it installed from the PPA with no problems on KDE Neon. I will not have Snaps or Flatpacks on my system!
                      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                        I have it installed from the PPA with no problems on KDE Neon. I will not have Snaps or Flatpacks on my system!
                        Were you shaking your fist at the clouds when you typed that?
                        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                          Were you shaking your fist at the clouds when you typed that?
                          Hehe,

I am reminded of a time (even today) where people would scream: "I will have no third party sources on my system!!!!"

I am also reminded of a time (even today) where people would scream: "I will have no PPAs on my system!!!!"

And of course, if one goes back far enough (and even today), where people would scream: "I will have no software on my system that I did not compile myself!!!!"

Comment

And then, those few who say: "I will have no system on my PC that didn't originate from the divine Penguin via the aether."
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And your point?

Comment

Working...
                              X