This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Won't Wake From Sleep After Kernel Update

I updated to Linux 5.4.0-80-generic on x86_64. When the screen goes black after so many minutes, moving the mouse, which was the action to wake the system up, doesn't work anymore. I also went to Settings > System Settings > Screen Locking and disabled it, but my screen still goes blank after so many minutes. When I move the mouse, I see SSD activity, but the system does not come back and I have to reset the computer. I've searched DDG for hours and nothing applicable comes up. Please advise.

How can I correct this behavior?
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

There may be a solution to your problem here. It deals with power management. It could also be related to your display driver. I use the 5.8-80 kernel but I'm also using Nvidia's proprietary driver for my screen and that kernel does not give me any problems.

If push comes to shove you can always roll back to the kernel version you were using previously.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 06, 2021, 11:52 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've noticed that also. But, simply pressing "anykey" wakes mine up. My favorite "anykey" is the left CTRL key. YMMV.

BTW, I'm using 5.8.0-63, so there may be something else in play. Anyway, it's not significant enough, to me, to warrant screwing around with kernels.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek and jglen490. The normal updates, for my system, that I install as soon as they're available has me to kernel 5.4.0-80-generic. I'd rather not revert to the older version if I can help it. It's just an inconvenience to shut down and start up again everytime I have to walk away from my computer. Funny observation though. When I do come back to a sleeping system and black screen and I hit the "any-key", my SSD LED flashes which tells me the system is responding to my key press by accessing the SSD. Of course nothing else happens. I've even typed in my password without joy. Thanks again.
        "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Are you just using screen sleep, or are you using suspension?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good question, I'm not sure. Since the latest kernel prevents the computer from waking up, I changed: Settings > System Settings > Screen Locking> Disabled (unchecked) and yet my computer still sleeps or suspends after a time. I don't know how long because I never timed it. What else, on the system, would trigger this behavior? Until an update corrects this behavior, I'd rather have it not sleep or suspend at all.

Comment

Check under the Power Management settings. Suspend and Sleep are there.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you jglen490. That's the setting that was turning the screen off after 20 minutes of inactivity. I should be good now until this behavior gets corrected in a future update.

Comment

Working...
                X