This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover crashes every time

Discover showed me that it had some updates, many which included LibreOffice. I chose to exit and do the updates later. Then later when I tried to run the update system, it crashed. So I tried to run updates from that system tray icon -- crashed again. Same thing over and over. I tried to run Discover from the menu system, same thing. No matter what I do, it always crashes.

I could have sworn there was a way to uninstall and reinstall Discover. I've been googling it, but am not finding it, and I'm not finding it in my notes. I could have sworn I can uninstall it from the terminal and then reinstall it from the terminal. Isn't this possible? I'm not finding the commands. But I seem to remember doing this before and it fixed the problem, though it probably wasn't in 20.04.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

sudo apt update && sudo apt install --reinstall discover
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      sudo apt update && sudo apt install --reinstall discover
      it will be plasma-discover
      Though reinstalling an application usually does nothing to fix a crashing program.,

Comment

It may not be Discover's problem.

I would try
        Code:
        sudo apt update
        And look for errors. If it's clean, then try
        Code:
        sudo apt full-upgrade
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Strangely, the problem seems to have corrected itself without an intervention on my part. Whatever fixed it I have no clue. However, I still still be saving the reinstall instructions in my CherryTree notes on Kubuntu in case I ever need to reinstall it in the future. These are the commands, right?

Code:
          sudo apt update && sudo apt install --reinstall plasma-discover
          I thought I already had that info in my notes from before, but I guess not.
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

Thanks for this post Tom. I had the same problem and the code sudo apt update && sudo apt Install --reinstall plasma-discover has worked perfectly to resolve the problem. Thank you Claydoh.

Comment

Working...
            X