X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browsers crash

Hello everybody

I installed Kubuntu LTS 20.04 on several computers using either an ISO USB key (so from crash except for the /home directories) or upgrading an LTS 18.04 version.

With all install, I have the same problem: Firefox and Chromium crash regularly (but also randomly) when I try to open a new tab or load a webside.

I use startpage.com as search engine, when I click on the middle button on Firefox, it should open the webside on a new tab and fast systematically firefox crashes, if I click on the left button, it crashes not so often but can also crash.

I tried to start firefox with the safe mode: no impact. I found on internet some special configurations but none correct the issue.

Due to the fact that Chromium also crashes and that the problem appears on several computer, I guess that the problem is linked to a library used by the both browsers.
    I searched on internet but I don't see anything to resolve my problem.

What should I do ?
    Thanks a lot for any comments/helps.
    Best regards,
    Guillaume.

I am running a fully updated Kubuntu 20.04 LTS using FireFox 90.0 and I have not experienced any crashing with v90.0 or with its previous version, or with any other software that I have installed, both from the repository and from 3rd parties. And I, too, use StartPage as my search engine.

Did you validate the ISO checksum before you burned it to a USB stick, and then did you check the ISO usb stick as well?

Upgrading an 18.x LTS to 20.04 LTS is frequently wrought with problems. A fresh install is always better. This, of course, requires you to back up your data before the fresh install, and restore it afterwards, but this is usually much quicker and easier than trying to find problems caused by mixed libraries and such. Personally, I always do a fresh install of the latest LTS and have yet to experience any problems afterwards.

My recommendation is to backup your important data, download a fresh copy of the 20.04 LTS ISO, verify it, burn it to a USB stick and verify that stick, then do your standard default install without getting fancy. After the install do your first backup (TimeShift, snapper, or what ever, choosing BTRFS as your FS helps immensely), and then do a full upgrade, install the additional apps you want, make configuration changes, and then make a 2nd backup. I always recommend against updating an LTS installation.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That is strange that the browsers are crashing. Like GG, I have not experienced anything like that on either browser, and like GG I ONLY do clean install with LTS to LTS installs - and only use LTS. Unlike GG, I only use ext4 and have no problems. So It's not likely filesystem related. A clean install of validated ISO should work.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
      X