Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't print. What goes in the Location field in the printer dialog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't print. What goes in the Location field in the printer dialog?

Hello, helper(s),

I can't get my Brother MFC-J895DW to print. I've replaced all (previously very low) ink cartridges, deleted a file the 'net said I needed to, then rebooted and used the System Settings' Printers dialog to reinstall the printer, & set it to Default. A web-based print job calls up a printer dialog, but clicking Print yields nothing. The Location field in the Configure dialog is empty, though I think it doesn't need to be filled; correct me in necessary. Please tell me what to check. I'll answer anything you ask. Thanks.
    Last edited by RLynwood; Jun 08, 2021, 04:29 PM.

You are running 20.04, which is a 64 bit system. There are no drivers for your 32bit printer in the repository. The Brothers printer drivers for your printer are 32 bit, so you will need to add the i386 architecture to your system first.

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Then you can go here: https://brothersupports.com/brother-...vers-download/
    scroll 75% or so down the page and look for the three deb packages. Download them.
    Run the printer installer tool first, then the printer driver tool, then the cups wrapper tool.
    Good luck. Brothers are great printers and in my experience work well with Linux, but your printer is getting long in the tooth. The support link on that page I linked to is not active and the printer is no longer supported.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X