Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

512MB partition showing up in file Dolphin File Manager.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

512MB partition showing up in file Dolphin File Manager.

Something that has had me confused since I installed Kubuntu 20.04 is the 512MB partition showing up in the Dolphin File Manager. I checked my partition with the KDE Partition Manager and there is a 512MB partition there. But why is it showing up in Dolphin for?

What's in it?
    How is it formatted?
    What's the full file path, or rather where is it mounted?

It is probably your EFI partition, though this should be mounted at /boot/efi/
    Not normally seen as a device, but can be visible if labels or other info is changed, not sure why you would be seeing it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210526_182359.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	645156

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      What's in it?
      How is it formatted?
      What's the full file path, or rather where is it mounted?

It is probably your EFI partition, though this should be mounted at /boot/efi/
      Not normally seen as a device, but can be visible if labels or other info is changed, not sure why you would be seeing it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9448[/ATTACH]
      Yeah I know its so strange. Anyway the file path is /dev/sda1

I wonder if this has anything to do with Dolphin being slow : https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...mount-of-files

Comment

Mounted partitions show up here too but I have them hidden.
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
          Mounted partitions show up here too but I have them hidden.
          So your having the same issue with Dolphin showing certain partitions if I'm understanding you correctly?

Comment

They're listed under 'Devices' I've unhidden them for the screenie...
            Attached Files
            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
              Yeah I know its so strange. Anyway the file path is /dev/sda1

I wonder if this has anything to do with Dolphin being slow : https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...mount-of-files
              That is the device name, actually the physical name of the partition, not the actual path. The mount point, as in the place in the file system where the device is mounted, as in my example above. A place in your file system tree. Like /boot/efi, the path you see if you
              click on the location at the top left-ish side of dolphin's window.

Being able to see it very likely has zero to do with any slowness, particularly as the files in it (if it is the EFI dir at /boot/efi) are only involved with booting

But a lack of in-depth and requested info sorta hampers anyone being able to know what sort of situation you have.........................

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                They're listed under 'Devices' I've unhidden them for the screenie...
                But note you don't have the EFI partition visible, one that is very often exactly 512mb in size.

Comment

Weird Beerislife must be a bug with the Dolphin Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    That is the device name, actually the physical name of the partition, not the actual path. The mount point, as in the place in the file system where the device is mounted, as in my example above. A place in your file system tree. Like /boot/efi, the path you see if you
                    click on the location at the top left-ish side of dolphin's window.

Being able to see it very likely has zero to do with any slowness, particularly as the files in it (if it is the EFI dir at /boot/efi) are only involved with booting

But a lack of in-depth and requested info sorta hampers anyone being able to know what sort of situation you have...
                    OK I hope this helps. I believe this is the file path. /boot/efi when used the Dolphin File Manager.

Comment

That's where your boot files live, and has nothing to do with any system, or boot, slowness.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

You can use systemd-analyze in a kosole to find slow activities at boot time.
                        Code:
                        systemd-analyze time
                        or
                        Code:
                        systemd-analyze blame
                        can be helpful with that.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I know there is some thing somewhere that would cause this normally hidden partition to become "visible" to the file system and file browsers. I just haven't bothered to research it.

But I don't think it is anything wrong with Dolphin as this only shows what the system reports.

It would involve changes to the partition info itself. So any bug would probably be elsewhere, and almost as likely to be an artifact of a user's action as it is to be a bug.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X