This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] Network Printer Test Page Permission Denied

I have a suite of old laptops running Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, which connect via WiFi periodically to a small file and print-sharing server. The server is also 20.04 LTS, and since the server load is very light it has a basic LXDE frontend to make operation a bit easier.

The server runs Samba (for file sharing only) and UFW as a firewall. HPLIP is installed on all machines and ippusbxd has also been purged. An HP Envy 5020 MFP is connected to the server via USB and is setup for sharing. The firewalls, on both server and laptops, are configured to pass CUPS and HPLIP. Local printing on the server is working fine.

Each laptop has a unique hostname but the same three users; admin, teacher and student. I have so far been unable to print successfully from any login on the laptops. The laptops do identify the shared network printer fine and seem to correctly install the required driver. However when I try to print a test page, I get an error message. Initially the reported error was ?filter failed?. However in the last day or so (possibly since running updates on the laptops), when trying to print a test page I get the message ?Unable to open print file: Permission denied?.

It is not clear if the permission is at the server or laptop end but I am guessing the laptop. All users are part of the lpadmin group though on reflection I really only need the admin user to be included. The issue of ?permission denied? has got be stumped though. It was never an issue with 18.04 LTS which worked right out-of-the-box with no screwy additional configuration requirements beyond the basics.

Advice appreciated as I am running out of time and hair.
Working...
X