This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Trying to download Avidemux

I wanted to download Avidemux so i went to their website and on the download page i saw that there's a PPA, so i installed it and nothing happened.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html

https://launchpad.net/~xtradeb/+archive/ubuntu/apps

‏My questions:
    1. what is this PPA and why it's not working ?

2. if it's not working, can i uninstall it ?
    i know that i can just delete it from the software sources but is it going to remove it completely this way ?

What did you do specifically to add the PPA?
    What do you mean precisely by 'nothing happened'?
    I assume you followed the instruction on the PPA page to add the Personal Package Archive, and then actually installed avidemux, using Discover, apt, or a package manager?

The Sourceforge download page also offers an appimage, which is a universal binary, no install needed.

Removing the PPA can be done using the Software Sources tool, but really only if one has not actually installed anything from it, or have uninstalled any and all packages it might have provided.
    However, the command ppa-purge will remove it, and also downgrade any packages back to stock. UYse the command the exact same way you used add-apt-repository to add the PPA.

Comment

I copied the commands from the PPA page to the Konsole

Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xtradeb/apps
      sudo apt-get update
      But I can't find Avidemux on Discover or Muon .

I'm aware that there's an appimage of the program but I thought that if there's an option to install it from the PPA it would be better.

Comment

You only added the PPA, so you still need to install the program.
        If you can't find avidemux6-qt, then you will need to try installing it using apt.

Code:
        sudo apt install avidemux-qt
        If there is some sort of problem, the error messages will point the way.

It is likely not showing up in Discover because the creator of the packaging didn't include the metadata needed for it to show there (or in Gnome Software)
        As for Muon, I dunno. That program is starting to get long in the tooth, and not well maintained. It probably needs its xapian index thingy updated, not sure how often that needs to be done.
        I'll wager Synaptic sees it just fine.

Comment

I used the apt install command you suggested and everything is working fine now
          Thanks for your help !

Comment

Working...
          X