Wine always reverts to - Keep Above -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Wine always reverts to - Keep Above -

Every time I open Wine it stays on top of all other windows. When I go into the Window Manager and uncheck "keep above" it behaves normally until I exit the program. Then upon reopening it, it is set to 'keep above' again.

How do I prevent this behavior and force it to behave less obnoxiously?

Have you tried this?

System Settings | Workspace | Window Management | Window Rules | <entry for wine> | Modify | Arrangement & Access make sure 'keep above' isn't checked.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      Have you tried this?

System Settings | Workspace | Window Management | Window Rules | <entry for wine> | Modify | Arrangement & Access make sure 'keep above' isn't checked.
      I have tried that. I have even deleted the ruleset for wine. I have tried making a new ruleset for wine. No matter how I set it, every time I restart it, it is set to 'keep above'.

I suspect that something is executing after kwin. But really I have no idea what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoFistedJustice View Post
        I have tried that. I have even deleted the ruleset for wine. I have tried making a new ruleset for wine. No matter how I set it, every time I restart it, it is set to 'keep above'.

I suspect that something is executing after kwin. But really I have no idea what's going on.
        Wow, that's a good one! Bad one. You know.

I don't know what else to suggest. It sounds like you're already doing everything that should work... I don't currently have wine installed, so I can't check its files myself, but have you delved in to your $HOME wine directory? Check its config files. Maybe there's something there that's overriding your settings.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Okay. I solved it. After digging around and around and SEEING NOTHING. I found another Windows program installed that I had forgotten about. THAT program did NOT behave that way. So I was able to eliminate Wine as the source. So I dug around the interface of the offending program and found "Stay On Top" buried in one of the many menus with a little check next to it. Uncheck. Done.

I spent HOURS on this. And probably it was caused by a random keystroke...

Thank you DoYouKubuntu. I might not have solved it had you not got me to dig deeper and deeper until I realized it was laying on the ground next to the hole.

Comment

Excellent! I'm so happy the problem is solved.

You might want to mark this 'solved'--at the top of your OP, there's a 'thread tools' menu, you'll find it there.

Comment

Working...
            X