Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix higher-res on Chrome than Firefox?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Netflix higher-res on Chrome than Firefox?

Netflix has looked particularly low-quality to me lately.

Last night I was watching a show, and the compression on the stream was getting so bad, that if someone was in a full-body shot in a scene, but they weren't moving their body very much, their mouth wouldn't even open and close when they were talking. I have "highest quality" selected on my profile, and I'm subscribed to the 1080p tier of service. Things like smoke and fog only moved at about 4 or 5 frames per second.

I opened Chrome, and *poof* everything looked great. I switched back to Firefox, and it hit me - Firefox has made Netflix look ugly for *years.*

I remember first noticing this back in 2019. I thought their streaming service was cutting corners to save money, or perhaps they were lowering their bandwidth on their 1080p package in order to incentivize customers to upgrade to the 4K streaming tier. It never dawned on me that it was Firefox's fault.

I really don't want to switch to Chrome, even just for TV/movie watching if I don't have to. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Things to check:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/qu...question-reply

https://itsfoss.com/netflix-firefox-linux/

Comment

I had FFMPEG installed.

Turns out it was two things in Firefox about:config.

privacy.resistFingerprinting needed to be set to false, and
      privacy.resistFingerprinting.target_video_res needed to be set to 1080.

Thank you for the response.
      Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
      Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post

Turns out it was two things in Firefox about:config.

privacy.resistFingerprinting needed to be set to false, and
        privacy.resistFingerprinting.target_video_res needed to be set to 1080.
        Thanks for posting your solution!

Wow, turning off "privacy.resistFingerprinting" destroys the whole purpose of FireFox 86, which blocks fingerprinting.

EDIT:
        I checked the first setting and it was already off!
        So I turned it on. Now to watch all the complaints pop up.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 15, 2021, 08:47 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Thanks for posting your solution!

Wow, turning off "privacy.resistFingerprinting" destroys the whole purpose of FireFox 86, which blocks fingerprinting.
          I turned mine back on too, and maybe the 1080 part was the only thing necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post
            I turned mine back on too, and maybe the 1080 part was the only thing necessary.
            Fingerprinting blocking probably blocks attemtps to automatically detect your window size/screen resolution (since that can technically be used in fingerprinting, even though it also has many legitimate uses). The target_video_res should allow you to "force" a video resolution to give to servers (regardless of the actual value).

It is possible you need to temporarily disable resistFingerprinting for the target_video_res value change to take effect (If setting just the target_video_res didn't work at first)
            Last edited by kubicle; Mar 16, 2021, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X