This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromium recurring SIGTRAP error

I've been having problems with this error for the past few months: Chromium will run fine for days/weeks and then one day I'll try to open a new page and get the SIGTRAP error. Any new pages get the same error regardless of URL. Refreshing does nothing. When it happened a few days ago, it happened again soon after relaunching Chromium, and I had to reboot, which to me suggests it's something beyond a Chromium bug. I've tried disabled hardware acceleration in Chromium settings to no avail.

Any ideas as to the cause and/or solution? The pages I've found searching on SIGTRAP are ambiguous and not helpful.

Hardware is a Thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 6.

After a reboot, and before launching Chromium, launch Konsole and and run top. Resize the Konsole window width just so you can see the full output, left to right. Now launch Chromium. If it launches full-screen, resize it so you can still see the Konsole window.

Now use Chromium as normal. When the SIGTRAP error presents, look at the Konsole window and note what top processes (COMMAND) are displayed. This could be useful in helping to identify what is causing this.

Added:

Are you running Chromium from a Snap download?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 04, 2021, 10:59 AM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Are you running Chromium in the dev mode?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        After a reboot, and before launching Chromium, launch Konsole and and run top. Resize the Konsole window width just so you can see the full output, left to right. Now launch Chromium. If it launches full-screen, resize it so you can still see the Konsole window.

Now use Chromium as normal. When the SIGTRAP error presents, look at the Konsole window and note what top processes (COMMAND) are displayed. This could be useful in helping to identify what is causing this.

Added:

Are you running Chromium from a Snap download?
        It does appear to be a Snap version: Version 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) snap (64-bit)

Could this be the problem?

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Are you running Chromium in the dev mode?
        Yes. Turned it off for now to see if it helps.

Comment

Maybe https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1913027
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by djphilosophy View Post
            Yes. Turned it off for now to see if it helps.
            SIGTRAP: "is used mainly from within debuggers and program tracers."

Did turning it off help?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              SIGTRAP: "is used mainly from within debuggers and program tracers."

Did turning it off help?
              Unfortunately it's too early to tell, as this problem typically shows up only after a week or two of use (after reboot). From the link Snowhog provided I do wonder if Snap is part of the problem. My plan for now is to continue using Chromium with dev mode off and see what happens, and if the SIGTRAP error comes up again, switch to Chrome or a non-snap version of Chromium from a trustworthy source.

Comment

Chrome's practice of running in the background though no windows are shown may have been causing you trouble. When you've got such a crash, to avoid having to log out I think you would have had to identify the still-running processes and kill them.
                If such a dev build allows a debugger to "attach" to your running chrome, it could act as a back door to your browser sessions. Maybe running it in some form of sandbox would be a good idea.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Update: turning off developer mode had no effect. I rebooted last night (for non-related reasons) and today I'm getting the SIGTRAP error again. Restarting Chromium fixed it this time.

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  Chrome's practice of running in the background though no windows are shown may have been causing you trouble. When you've got such a crash, to avoid having to log out I think you would have had to identify the still-running processes and kill them.
                  If such a dev build allows a debugger to "attach" to your running chrome, it could act as a back door to your browser sessions. Maybe running it in some form of sandbox would be a good idea.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
                  There's a system option "Continue running background apps when Chromium is closed". I've long had this disabled, if you think it's connected. It seems to me that keeping it disabled would be better for preventing rogue processes, but maybe it's having the opposite effect?

There's also a "background sync" option under Site Settings which allows sites to finish sending/receiving data if recently closed. I just disabled that.

At this point I'm thinking it's the SNAP problem and I just need to transition to Chrome.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 08, 2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X