X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Deja Dub Backup Tool save versions

Hello everyone,

I recently migrated from Kubuntu 16.04 to Kubuntu 20.04. So far I'm quite happy. One of my main motivation was to have tools to automatically backup my data into an external hard drive. I looked a bit online, and I found Deja Dub Backup Tool which seemed good. I set it up to backup my data every week.

But I'm wondering if I will get a new copy every week (this would quickly fill my external HD) or if I will have each new copy replacing the previous one (that would be ideal for me).

I didn't find a parameter to specify this behavior.

I wish you a nice day (whether it's super early or late for you).

I don't know, but Timeshift - what I use - will let you specify the number of "snapshots" to keep. Defaults to three, I would keep at least two, in case of... you know, Murphys and things ;-)
    It is quite configurable.
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Feb 13, 2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your answer Don B. Cilly. I'll check this Timeshift out.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert24 View Post
        But I'm wondering if I will get a new copy every week (this would quickly fill my external HD) or if I will have each new copy replacing the previous one (that would be ideal for me).
        You could have a new copy every week, without filling the external HD, using a copy-on-write filesystem like btrfs, or if the files that change aren't large, using an rsync-based tool. IIUC Timeshift will use btrfs if possible, and otherwise rsync. The backup drive fills up with the amount of new data; then you'd start deleting old snapshots.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X