This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Mulitple running copies of Telegram

Hi, I've been searching to work out how to get multiple copies of the telegram desktop (app) to run at the same time. I found one method for Windozes and wonder if I can do the same. Windozes method was to COPY the telegram program folder, and create a new shortcut to the new folder. This way you get two separate running telegram desktops. Question. How would I do this under Linux? Question. If I manage to get multiple copies, how would I make sure all copies are updated? Thank in Advance. Corona-virus tip #864.

Don't like wearing a mask in public. Try a tightly sealed clear plastic bag instead.

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
    Hi, I've been searching to work out how to get multiple copies of the telegram desktop (app) to run at the same time. I found one method for Windozes and wonder if I can do the same. Windozes method was to COPY the telegram program folder, and create a new shortcut to the new folder. This way you get two separate running telegram desktops. Question. How would I do this under Linux? Question. If I manage to get multiple copies, how would I make sure all copies are updated? Thank in Advance.
    I've never tried it but if you start Zoom it puts an icon in the panel. RIght mouse on that icon and it offers a "Start a new instance". Give it a try.

Corona-virus tip #864.
    Don't like wearing a mask in public. Try a tightly sealed clear plastic bag instead.

That will cure your covid too!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I've never tried it but if you start Zoom it puts an icon in the panel. RIght mouse on that icon and it offers a "Start a new instance". Give it a try.
      Didn't work. I just get a standard alt-menu, like open with, delete, copy paste, etc Thanks

Comment

In the Panel/Task Manager? All apps I tried offer "Start New Instance" on right-click...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0215_084229.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	645049

Comment

Didn't work. I just get a standard alt-menu, like open with, delete, copy paste, etc Thanks
          Interesting. Something has changed. Now, the system tray icon no longer shows "Start a new instance".

The version I used was for the 3/25/20 build, which I installed on 3/30/20. However, the /usr/bin/zoom library shows a 5/24/20 time stamp. I used Zoom only once for a teleconference with my cardiologist on March 1st, 2020 and haven't used it since.

I did a search of the Zoom website:
          It appears that one can join multiple meetings but cannot host multiple meetings.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360001120743-Joining-multiple-meetings-simultaneously-on-desktop
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            In the Panel/Task Manager? All apps I tried offer "Start New Instance" on right-click... [ATTACH=CONFIG]9301[/ATTACH]
            Yeah. I now see what you are asking about. Still didn't work. The mouse icon, flickered and that's about it. Looks like Telegram wont allow more instances, or multiple versions. Thanks anyway for your advice. Appreaciated

Comment

I see. I tried - meaning, I got the app and tried :-)
              It still "offers" to start a new instance, but then raspberries out. Oh well.

[EDIT] Still, I like it. It's basically an "appimage", in the sense that it's a single executable file (well, two with the updater). No installing, no dependencies... nice.
              Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Feb 15, 2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X