Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New keyboard shortcuts do not start applications. Kubuntu 20.04 w KDE Framework 5.74

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] New keyboard shortcuts do not start applications. Kubuntu 20.04 w KDE Framework 5.74

I have an issue on two different NB's (Lenovo and Sony), both new installed with Kubuntu 20.04 LTS including KDE-Plasma 5.18.5, KDE-Frameworks 5.68.0, QT-Version 5.12.8, Kernel 5.4.0-62, 64 bit

Whenever I try to set a - doesn't matter if already in use or not - keyboard shortcut within start menu editor the keycombination is registered for the application, if formerly used the system gives an information like in any other/older version of Kubuntu.

After this the shortcut does not start the application.

Anyway, when i check either in the start menu editor or in System-Settings => Shortcuts I find the key assigned to the application.

Only new assigned keyshortcuts do not work, with system installation already existing shortcuts work without error.

So to me it seems this is not an error in menu editor but an error in the application controling the use of keyboard shortcuts.

Why: without having changed anything the keyboard shortcut >Alt-K< is assigned to switch a keyboard setting and I checked this is working. When I reassign >Alt-K< to another application the shortcut doesn't do anything after reassigned.

In the internet I found someone found a workaround:
    In system settings go to Shortcuts then Custom Shortcuts.
    Select KMenuEdit
    Then click on Edit and choose New > Global Shortcut > K-Menu Entry
    Put in the shortcut under trigger and select the application to launch under Action

This works but I don't like to use it because for me the way over the menu editor is the normal way. But it shows that usage of key shortcuts is somehow working and somehow not.

This behavior was also published in KDE Bugtracking System - Bug 417495 and 421329 - where the info is given, that the error would be fixed with/in KDE Frameworks 5.74

Can someone tell when this version of KDE Framework will be in the updates for Kubuntu 20.04?
    Thanks for any usefull info.

Myself and others had this problem maybe a couple of years ago. I'm sorry I can't find the thread right now (typing this on a bus) but it has details on how to reset the shortcut settings by editing a config file. After the reset the settings page worked again, and if I just made the settings I wanted it would keep working long enough.

[Edit] back on Kubuntu I've found a couple of threads:

Can't set personalised keyboard shortcuts

Issues related to hotkeys
    Last edited by jlittle; Jan 21, 2021, 04:05 AM.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi jlittle, thanks for you quick answers.
      I tried the first link - deleted all of "my" shortcuts and rebooted - this didn't help, same behavior as before.
      I tried the second link - renamed "~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc" to "~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc_org" and rebooted - and tested to set a shortcut by use of the kmenu editor AND by use of Settings => Shortcuts (maybe the names are different in the english version, I'm using a german ...) and can tell: every thing is now working like it should.
      In addition I can see a difference between the old and the new version of kglobalshortcutsrc, but I'm not able to "restore the wrong behavior" by editing the new version

Anyway, I'm not going to break my head on this!
      Many thanks for your help - I'll try to mark this as resolved ...

Comment

Working...
      X