This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Tagaini Jisho Qt5 version

Tagaini Jisho is/was probably (for me) the best Japanese/Engrish dictionary for Linux but the last binaries available are from 2017 compiled against Qt4. I've been looking around the Internuts but can't find a Qt5 version Deb package

There is a newer version available on Github but I'm afraid I can't get my head around compiling and making, either my head will explode or my PC!

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1248...jisho-on-20-04

https://github.com/Gnurou/tagainijisho

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tagainijisho-git

I do have Kiten installed (from kdeedu) but it is pretty limited (A nice was to say useless.) If I do a search for "England" with it, I get zero results but if I search for "イギリス" then I get a result for England. It also only uses EDICT (English dictionary) and KANJIDIC (Kanji dictionary)

Instead I've resorted to gWaei, a Gnome app, that uses the above dictionaries and also ENAMDICT (Names dictionary) and a places dictionary.

I'd rather keep my usage of none native apps to the minimum, if I can. It's a pain dealing with a second language but it can't be helped!

Any ideas? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Beerislife; Jan 15, 2021, 08:41 PM.
    Constant change is here to stay!

Your first link has the commands to issue. The first line uses the older apt-get. You can use that, but using apt instead is 'better'.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential git qt5-default libsqlite3-dev desktop-file-utils cmake qttools5-dev

cd ~/Downloads/
    git clone https://github.com/Gnurou/tagainijisho.git

cd tagainijisho
    cmake . -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local
    make
    sudo make install
    Run a simulated install for the first line above to see if you already have any of the packages installed:

Code:
    sudo apt install --simulate build-essential git qt5-default libsqlite3-dev desktop-file-utils cmake qttools5-dev
    If any of the packages are identified as already installed/at the latest version, just omit them. Remove the --simulate when you redo the command.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. I've never done this before so I really don't want to mess up my system!

Code:
      [FONT=monospace]Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree        
      Reading state information... Done
      git is already the newest version (1:2.25.1-1ubuntu3).
      git set to manually installed.
      build-essential is already the newest version (12.8ubuntu1.1).
      build-essential set to manually installed.
      desktop-file-utils is already the newest version (0.24-1ubuntu3).
      desktop-file-utils set to manually installed.
      Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
      Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
      Done[/FONT]

Comment

So the packages git, build-essential, and desktop-file-utils are already installed and at the newest version. They can be omitted from the first command.

You won't bork your system at all following the instructions. At the very worst, the process of making and building the new package will fail. But, you would be presented with specific error messages that basically tell you what went wrong and how to correct.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. I'm not working for three days starting today so will have time to look at it.

Comment

This bit looks interesting so I can install it later or on a different machine, but how to use it?

Linux users can make a nice deb or rpm package:

$ cpack -G DEB

Comment

Working...
            X