This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No file name for linux-firmware amd64

Up to now I have had no problems. Then a few days ago I tried to install the latest updates including the kernel version 59 and the update failed because of a problem apparently with linux-firmware. I tried to reinstall linux-firmware from the command line and got the error:
    E: Internal Error, No file name for linux-firmware:amd64
    The processor is an Intel core i5.
    The kernel 59 wasn't installed and the system still booted from 58. I decided to wait a few days to see what happened. Kernel 60 appeared but the update still failed with the same error. This is the error message from muon:

"linux-firmware
    installed linux-firmware package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

linux-image-generic
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

linux-generic
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

linux-image-5.4.0-60-generic
    installed linux-image-5.4.0-60-generic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

linux-image-5.4.0-59-generic
    installed linux-image-5.4.0-59-generic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1"

dpkg --audit just tells me that linux-generic, linux-image-generic, linux-firmware and linux-image-5.4.0-60-generic are not configured (I uninstalled the 59 kernel) Command line install still tells me E: Internal Error, No file name for linux-firmware:amd64
    I get the same error if I try to reinstall linux-generic and linux-image-generic
    I have tried dpkg --configure --pending but that doesn't help. In the meantime the 60 kernel has become the grub default and the boot just hangs so I have to boot 58 from the advanced options which still works. (I suppose I could reconfigure grub or uninstall 60 but I want to make as few changes as possible in case I mess something up completely)
    Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how I can solve the problem? Thanks!

Maybe a space (as in, available spacer) issue on your root ( / ) partition? In a konsole, what does the command df -h show? Copy/paste the output in your reply inside of code tags.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't think it's a space problem. Here's the output of df -h

Code:
      Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
      udev            7,8G     0  7,8G   0% /dev
      tmpfs           1,6G  3,1M  1,6G   1% /run
      /dev/sda2       3,6T  1,3T  2,1T  39% /
      tmpfs           7,8G  592K  7,8G   1% /dev/shm
      tmpfs           5,0M  4,0K  5,0M   1% /run/lock
      tmpfs           7,8G     0  7,8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
      /dev/loop0      119M  119M     0 100% /snap/chromium/1444
      /dev/loop1      119M  119M     0 100% /snap/chromium/1424
      /dev/loop2       56M   56M     0 100% /snap/core18/1932
      /dev/loop4       65M   65M     0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1514
      /dev/loop5       65M   65M     0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1513
      /dev/loop7      163M  163M     0 100% /snap/gnome-3-28-1804/145
      /dev/loop6       32M   32M     0 100% /snap/snapd/10492
      /dev/loop8       32M   32M     0 100% /snap/snapd/10707
      /dev/loop3       56M   56M     0 100% /snap/core18/1944
      /dev/sda1       511M  7,8M  504M   2% /boot/efi
      /dev/sdb1       2,7T  1,2T  1,4T  46% /mnt/AllMeData
      tmpfs           1,6G   16K  1,6G   1% /run/user/1000

Comment

Can you at least boot into the previous kernel?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Can you at least boot into the previous kernel?
          Yes, booting into 58 is no problem. I just can't upgrade any further. Muon always exits with
          "post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1"
          If I try to complete the configuration of unconfigured packages or reinstall linux-firmware from a terminal I get the error
          "E: Internal Error, No file name for linux-firmware:amd64"

The linux-firmware package is installed. The problem is with the configuration.

Comment

SOLVED No file name for linux-firmware amd64

Problem solved and it was a really stupid thing. After staring at the error messages for days I finally realised that as part of the configuration process, a routine named iscan is called. A week or so ago I dug out my old Epson scanner and installed the software to drive it - a program called iscan. Deleted the Epson software and everything works fine.

Comment

Working...
            X