Where's the 'pg' command?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Where's the 'pg' command?

I've used pg instead of more (or less) since it first became available...or I first learned about it, whichever applies. Now it's gone. Some searching online led me to believe that it's currently included in util-linux, which I already have installed, but it's nowhere I can find! Guidance?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pg_(Unix)

If util-Linux is installed as you say, the pg command should work. Are you saying it does not?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 28, 2020, 02:07 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's where I started, @SH.

Yes, util-linux is installed and, yes, I'm saying pg is not.

No command, such as whereis or apropos finds any hint of pg, nor is it included in the long list of "Installed Files" [in Synaptic] for util-linux.

FWIW, I'm now looking at a new-to-me command, most, which seems to have some functionality similar to pg--but after 30+ years...well, I'd prefer what I'm used to!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post

Yes, util-linux is installed and, yes, I'm saying pg is not.

No command, such as whereis or apropos finds any hint of pg, nor is it included in the long list of "Installed Files" [in Synaptic] for util-linux.
        But does the command work if you execute it?

Comment

https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.o....1-2_changelog

util-linux (2.29.2-2) unstable; urgency=medium

"The big post-release cleanup."

[ Andreas Henriksson ]
          * Add DEP12 upstream metadata (Closes: #852731)
          * Revert "Add configure flag to make libmount skip /etc/mtab"
          * Drop explicit --disable-silent-rules configure flag
          * Stop shipping the deprecated 'pg' utility
          * Revert "Explicitly (re)enable deprecated pg utility"
          * Stop shipping deprecated 'tunelp' utility
          * Stop shipping the deprecated 'line' utility
          * Drop explicitly passing CC for cross-building
          * Use configure flags to disable utils shipped by bsdmainutils
          * Revert "Attempt to work around debootstrap problems for hwclock.sh"
          * Drop no longer needed lintian overrides for dropped workaround
          * Drop obsolete fdisk reclaim on PPC
          * Revert "Rename libuuid user to uuidd in libuuidd1 postinst as well"
          * Revert "libuuid1: add passwd dependency for user migration"
          * Drop obsolete uuid-runtime user/group migration code
          * Remove 'pg' from being a pager alternative
          * Stop shipping deprecated tailf utility
          * Mention tailf removal in util-linux.NEWS

[ Christian Hofstaedtler ]
          * Fix debhelper -s deprecation warning (Closes: #852228)

-- Andreas Henriksson <andreas@fatal.se> Tue, 11 Jul 2017 03:19:46 +0200
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Doh! I remember seeing that. :face slap:

Added:
            And this is where I remember seeing it. A thread I started over two years ago! https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post408776
            Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 29, 2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              But does the command work if you execute it?
              NO! That's how I found out it was missing!

Update: okay, I see now that my beloved pg has been laid to rest.

Someone needs to update the Wikipedia page. I do a lot of editing there, but hesitate to do so for something like this.
              Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Nov 28, 2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

'pg' is still in the source code for util-linux, so the Wikipedia page is still correct, though could be clarified. Many/most distros have simply just removed it from their packaging of this collection of utilities.

Comment

I wonder why don't you like 'less'? It's got lots of options and I imagine it could be set up to be like pg.

I got used to pg back in the day, because I was often on System 5 derived Unixes, and 'more' was BSD. But paging using the space bar lured me back, and now less has many features such as mouse support, coping with coloured text, and tail -f.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Another pager option is most (my goto pager), which is feature-rich and configurable via .mostrc
                    https://ostechnix.com/the-difference...-most-commands

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      Another pager option is most (my goto pager), which is feature-rich and configurable via .mostrc
                      https://ostechnix.com/the-difference...-most-commands
                      Yep, as I said up above: "FWIW, I'm now looking at a new-to-me command, most, which seems to have some functionality similar to pg..."

I browsed through Synaptic yesterday looking for pager options, and then spent some time getting lost in all its terminal emulators. I installed a bunch of them, just for fun (I like Konsole and can't imagine dumping it). One of them, Cool Retro Term, is just too much fun! You can set it however best suits you, and it reminds one of the good old days on monochrome monitors/consoles. I love it. Right now I have it set green on a black background, but I got rid of its visual 'refresh' thing because I don't need to be THAT reminded of connecting via 2400 baud modems, you know?

Comment

Increasingly I use vim where I would have used a pager in the past, for syntax highlighting. Some types of log file are very hard to grok without the colours. A trick I use for very large logs, say over 100 MB, is run tail -f -n 1000 log > some.log & , then vim some.log, with a vim timer checking for changes every second or two.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                          Increasingly I use vim where I would have used a pager in the past, for syntax highlighting. Some types of log file are very hard to grok without the colours. A trick I use for very large logs, say over 100 MB, is run tail -f -n 1000 log > some.log & , then vim some.log, with a vim timer checking for changes every second or two.
                          Oh! That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to remember to give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                          X