Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Equivalent to 'gio trash filename'?

I can run gio trash some_file to send some_file to the Trash/Wastebin. gio is provided by libglib2.0-bin.

But libglib2.0-bin seems to be a "GNOME" thing:
    It is a useful general-purpose C library used by projects such as GTK+, GIMP, and GNOME.
    Is there a gio trash equivalent in KDE Plasma?
    Kubuntu 20.04

You could use kioclient5 in 'kde-cli-tools' (kioclient5 move [FILE] trash:/), but you can do a bit more with 'trash-cli', available from the repos [https://www.putorius.net/trash-cli-linux-terminal-recycle-bin.html ]

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      You could use kioclient5 in 'kde-cli-tools' (kioclient5 move [FILE] trash:/), but you can do a bit more with 'trash-cli', available from the repos [https://www.putorius.net/trash-cli-linux-terminal-recycle-bin.html ]
      Thank you for kioclient5 move [FILE] trash:/!

I used trash-cli in 18.04 but installing it in 20.04 involves many python2* dependencies:

Code:
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib python-pkg-resources python2 python2-minimal python2.7 python2.7-minimal
      trash-cli
      But installing from the GitHub page seems to allow a python3* route.

BTW, I'm currently getting a 404 for the putorius link.
      Last edited by chimak111; Nov 06, 2020, 09:36 PM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Yep, looks like almost all vestiges of python2 have been removed from the stock 20.04.
        Code:
        john@john-Desktop:/media/john$ sudo find / -iname *python2*
        /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/numpy/lib/tests/data/win64python2.npy
        /usr/lib/python2.7
        /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/python2
        /home/john/.local/share/icons/Beacon/apps/scalable/python2.6.svg
        /home/john/.local/share/icons/Beacon/apps/scalable/python2.7.svg
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          Minor fix to the link: there are extra "[" and "]" and the "]" after ...bin.html seems to be the cause of the 404.

Re. python2*, the GitHub page mentions "Python 2.7 or Python 3" and provides a "user-only" installation option. But that requires python-setuptools which is python2*-based.
          Last edited by chimak111; Nov 06, 2020, 09:40 PM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X