Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a reasonable scrollback value in Konsole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a reasonable scrollback value in Konsole?

My current profile has Scrollback set to a 'Fixed size' of 50k lines. There is a warning that says increasing it to a much larger number will use up RAM. My question is, what is a reasonable value for this? 10k lines? 500k lines? How much RAM is engaged for every, say, 10k lines? And, presumably, this applies to each tab?

I can't find definitive (or even vague) usage info, other than this:

Back of the envelope:

5000 lines * average 100 unicode characters * average 2 bytes (probably most are ASCII 1 byte but whatever) ~= 1.000.000 bytes ~= 1MB
    Which may not relate to Konsole, but seems reasonable.

What you set it to is of course personal preference and available ram. I have my Yakuake terminal (uses the same component Konsole uses) set to the default 1000 lines, and it seems to hover around 20mb ram. I imagine it would just need to be monitored to see how high it goes with an increase in the scroll-back

Comment

I have mine set to Unlimited, after losing some output I wanted to see.

I've just loaded up about a GB of random junk, about 50,000,000 lines, into the scrollback buffer, and it's gone to storage somewhere I can't see. Memory in use didn't change at all, but free space in the file system has gone down.

(I suspect that konsole uses the method of deleting temporary files immediately after opening them; files are only fully deleted when the last link to them goes, and having the file open counts as a link. Using this method guarantees clean up, even if the programme crashes.)

Unless your system is really low on storage, I suggest you don't worry about it and set the scrollback to unlimited.

konsole has choked on File->Save output as... though, after 367 MiB; so I wouldn't rely on being able to save GB of output that way. AFAICT I can still see it all by dragging the scrollbar.

How's that for procrastination...
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Setting it to unlimited iirc writes the scrollback to a file, which would have some effect on ram and resource usage.

Comment

Working...
        X