Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Problem with keyboard repeating.

Hello,

My keyboard repeats keystokes almost every time I strike/press a key in normal typing. I can keep the automatic repeating to a minimum by pressing each key quickly, carefully, without ANY delay in lifting my finger from the strike. But even then it frequently spontaneously repeats. I've isolated the problem to my newly installed Kubuntu 20.04 on a six-year-old but only recently used 500 GB Samsung SSD. I don't have this problem in Linux Mint, which I have installed on the same SSD, nor do I have the problem with this same keyboard on another computer. This problem is about a couple of months old now. I really would appreciate any help in solving this problem. Thanks.

I see these settings in the file ~/.config/kcminputrc, in the [Keyboard] section:
    Code:
    [Keyboard]
    KeyboardRepeating=0
    NumLock=0
    RepeatDelay=250
    RepeatRate=50
    Does yours look like this?
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Mr. Little, I don't see ~/.config/kcminputrc. I see ~/.config/kde.org and ~/.config/kdeconnect. Can you please direct me to the config file you've specified?

Comment

Sorry, I've been away from my Kubuntu system (on MS Windows, ) and very busy.
        I see ~/.config/kde.org and ~/.config/kdeconnect.
        Is that all? I've got 134 files in .config, and a new user has about 40. I suggest adding a new user and logging in as that user; if the problem occurs for that user then it's not a user settings problem.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Like you, I've been extremely busy and distracted.
          You're right; I didn't look in the right place. I changed a couple of the settings, but they had no salutary effect. I just ignored it because of being too busy to deal with it. Then a couple of days ago I noticed that I had a couple of months' updates to run and ran them, then rebooted. Alas, something in them seems to have fixed the problem; typing is perfectly normal now, and my ~/kcminputrc file exactly matches yours now. Apparently it was a Kubuntu problem all along. Thanks for your valiant help.

Comment

Keep up with your updates

They interrupt the flow of work, but they do (most of the time) save troubleshooting time when things go sideways.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
            X