This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] aplay ?

Kubuntu 20.04 uses aplay version 1.2.2, which works fine.
    Kubuntu 20.10 Beta uses aplay version 1.2.3, which does not work.

On K-20.04 I use the command "aplay SteelBell-C6.wav" to play a bell sound as an alert that something needs to be done.
    On K-20.10 Beta the same command produces no sound

On K-20.10 Beta the command "espeak hello" does not make a sound also.
    I suspect something is missing on K-20.10 Beta
    Last edited by gh4wi; Oct 06, 2020, 09:42 AM.

Just booted to the latest groovy iso, with aplay 1.2.3, and when I managed to unmute the sound, aplay had no trouble.

Do you get any sound at all, from any source? I've never liked aplay, because it's limited in the sound files it will play, and often it will try and the computer shrieks at you. You could try installing pulseaudio-tools and try paplay, or use vlc:

cvlc --play-and-exit SteelBell-C6.wav
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      Just booted to the latest groovy iso, with aplay 1.2.3, and when I managed to unmute the sound, aplay had no trouble.

Do you get any sound at all, from any source? I've never liked aplay, because it's limited in the sound files it will play, and often it will try and the computer shrieks at you. You could try installing pulseaudio-tools and try paplay, or use vlc:

cvlc --play-and-exit SteelBell-C6.wav
      OP probably has paplay already (check with which paplay). It's part of pulseaudio-utils: https://packages.ubuntu.com/groovy/a...utils/filelist

I like paplay too.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Tried aplay, espeak, cvlc and tried reinstall of pulseaudio-utils but still no audio output on Kubuntu 20.10 Beta.
        If I swap drives and go back to Kubuntu 20.04 then the audio works fine.
        So it is not a hardware problem, but something missing from Kubuntu 20.10 Beta

Comment

Went back to Kubuntu 20.04 and created a list of audio modules used in that OS.
          Found that the snd_hda_codec_* files and the snd_hda_intel files are used in Kubuntu 20.04,
          but are NOT in the package list for Kubuntu 20.10
          If you know how to source them, or add them to the Muon Package manager, then please advise.

Comment

Which package list are they in for 20.04?
            Those are kernel modules.

Bug report on Launchpad? Getting rather close to release time, though.

If this system is not a failry recent install, sometines a testing fresh install s a good way to eliminate this being a glitch from running a pre-release for a long time.

Comment

The following packages are used in Kubuntu 20.04 but were NOT loaded in Kubuntu 20.10 Beta.
              Currently they are NOT available via Muon or Synaptic Package Manager for K-20.10.
              If you know how to add them, please do so.

snd_hda_codec_realtek : Realtek HD-audio codec

snd_seq_midi : Advanced Linux Sound Architecture sequencer MIDI synth.
              snd_hda_codec_generic : Generic HD-audio codec parser

snd_seq_midi_event : MIDI byte <-> sequencer event coder
              snd_hda_codec_hdmi : HDMI HD-audio codec

snd_hda_intel : Intel HDA driver
              snd_intel_dspcfg : Intel DSP config driver

snd_hda_codec : HDA codec core
              snd_rawmidi : Midlevel RawMidi code for ALSA.
              snd_hda_core : HD-audio bus

snd_seq : Advanced Linux Sound Architecture sequencer.
              snd_hwdep : Hardware dependent layer

snd_pcm : Midlevel PCM code for ALSA.

snd_seq_device : ALSA sequencer device management
              snd_timer : ALSA timer interface
              snd : Advanced Linux Sound Architecture driver for soundcards.
              soundcore : Core sound module

Comment

Can you try running a live session of a current beta ISO and see if sound works or is at least detected?

That list is not of actual packages (deb files) but different kernel modules. These won't load if for some reason the hardware is not detected. Of course they won't load if they are not there. I don't know the actual file names for these (they end in .ko usually) but for the most part they would come with the kernel itself, I believe.

You can try using modprobe to try and manually load some of these and see what the errors are, if any.

But I do recommend trying a live session to see what you get there

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by claydoh; Oct 13, 2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas... Downloaded the latest K-20.10 Beta, and Tried on 2 different PC's.
                  Same problem, NO Audio.
                  Tested by using Firefox to connect to YouTube and attempting to play any music.
                  The "Try Kubuntu" was a quick way of checking, but the audio just isn't working.

Comment

Hi
                    This is an interesting thread.
                    woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Another idea... is HDMI involved?

Recently, I had occasion to plug in a monitor to a laptop, and sound stopped. Sound was being sent to the monitor, which didn't have speakers. In Kubuntu, right-clicking the speaker in the tray, configure..., audio, devices tab, should show all the devices that can get sound, but once I deleted something and it was confused.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Problem existed in Kubuntu 20.10 BETA distro and is solved in Kubuntu 20.10 standard distro, which is available now.
                        Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                        X