X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

openpgp passphrase required rears its head

Hi
    if the gentle reader does not know what openpgp "is"...it is a "pretty good password" protector.

I have provided two links at the end of this for folks to read if they so wish the first being for Ubuntu in general and the specifics of what is needed for KDE second.

This post has two parts:
    a) what happened
    b) what I did to stop it. (notice I did NOT enable it which STILL requires command line. ).

A) What happened on a Kubuntu 19.04 system.
    This has NEVER happened before on a several year old system and I use Kontact / kmail exclusively or just use the college's e-mail.
    The college has now gone to a "two step" sign in system for the WHOLE system, not just e-mail and has gone to Microshaft cloud (outlook tm) for all e-mail.

With hiccups that are well recorded in the dungeons about how to get the college e-mail into Kontact all of them went away two years ago when the college went to Outlook on the Cloud.

ALL THAT IS NEEDED is to enter my normal password and Kontact / Kmail work simple as that.

It is, of course, stored in Kwallet.

So...TODAY...for the first time I tried to send an e-mail in the system and the DREADED ...please enter your OpenPGP "passphrase" window appeared.

I entered the college's password, nothing. FIRST TRY YOU STUPID PERSON OF THREE appeared.
    I entered a previous password and got SECOND TRY YOU STUPID PERSON OF THREE appeared.
    I tried my Kubuntu system password and got THIRD TRY YOU STUPID PERSON OF THREE YOUR FIRST BORN CHILD WILL NOW BE GIVEN A BIG WET WILLIE appeared.

So I trudge through the system settings and find the folder in Kwallet and guess what... the password is correct.

B) what I did

So...I just disabled the whole Kwallet system and the a new e-mail went out just fine...

SO...

I HAVE NOT DONE AN UPDATE for the system because it is always "up to date" since...it is "out of date"...LOL so NOTHING HAS CHANGED...but...

there...it ...is...

If the dreaded OpenPGP window asking for your passphrase appears...just disable Kwallet because TO ENABLE OpenPGP you ARE going to have to do quite a bit of CLI.

And, of course, if anyone has comments, please post them.

woodsmoke

Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto

Kmail

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KMailGPGAgent
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

PrettyGoodPrivacy.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
    X