Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Icons and long file names, how do yo see the full name?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Icons and long file names, how do yo see the full name?

On the desktop if there is an icon with a long file name it just says something like "Firefox We..." instead of "Firefox Web Browser". Is there a way to make it so that when you click on it once, it will show the full name, like in Windows?

With System settings, workspace behaviour, general behaviour, visual behaviour, "Display informational tooltips on mouse hover" checked, I see the full name if I "mouse over" a desktop widget:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox_we.png
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	644816
    but I think what you're really after is resizing the widget, by long-pressing it:

Name:	ff_resize.png
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	644817
    With my theme and colour scheme, the resize handles show as big green dots. If I drag the bottom right one just a little to the right, I get:

Name:	ff.png
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	644818
    Last edited by jlittle; Jul 04, 2020, 10:08 PM.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Right click on desktop ->Configure Desktop->Icons
      You can set text size and number of lines of text. More lines will show more of the actual name.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Perfect that worked! I found an option to resize icons before but it did not seem to do anything but by doing it from the desktop it worked. There was an option to make the labels wider and to also enable tooltops.

Comment

Working...
        X