X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHT in KTorrent

When I tried to download through a torrent, I got this notification

You are attempting to download a magnet link, and DHT is not enabled. For optimum results enable DHT.
    I wanted to ask what are the " safe " settings for KTorrent. This is what I have now

You probably need to define what you mean by 'safe'.

The default settings are fine, though as you see, in order to use magnet (aka trackerless torrent), you want to enable DHT as suggested for better performance (ie more peers to connect to)
    This can be good or bad, depending on what types of trackers you plan top connect to.

If you are using a public tracker, say for a Linux iso download, keep DHT on since it will help you find more peers, hence speed.
    ALWAYS disable DHT for private trackers (aka the illegal stuff). This is important because otherwise you could leak information about other people in the swarm, which is bad form, and may get you blocked or banned, perhaps.

Using encryption can be useful, if your ISP throttles torrents even if they are legit Linux isos, and you want to hide the illegal you are downloading It also limits your connections to other peers, which could slow the download speed.

The biggest thing you need to be 'safe' when torrenting the bad stuff is a VPN service - and NOT one of the free ones.

Comment

Thanks. Your answer is awesome

Comment

" Use peer exchange to find more peers " is automatically enabled in KTorrent for me. Should I turn this off ?

Comment

No idea, though I assume that the default settings in most bt clients would be sensible ones.

http://wiki.bitcomet.com/peers_seeds...x_magnet_links

Comment

Thanks. Looks more or less like DHT.

Comment

Working...
            X